DSLR choice

I don't think the D90 is an option for me. If I'm going to upgrade, I'm not going to spend the money on a camera body thats already discontinued and been replaced with the D7000. I'd choose the D3200 over the D90 if it weren't missing some features even my FZ150 has (swivel screen, AEB, no bulb mode being the big ones) As for price, the D90 is running around $850 right now and the D5100 is down to $550 until the end of June. What's killing me right now is that I can split up the D5100 and the lens ordering them apart. With the D7k, it's all the cash upfront, but done and over with. I've played with the D5100, D7k, T3i, and 60d in the camera shops. I really had no preference to size, weight, egromatics, etc so for me atleast, it comes down to getting the best I can for what I can spend. Nikon has been dropping the D5100 prices by $50 a month since April, and the D7k is $100 off right now. Amazon is also throwing in some freebies to sweeten the pot on each of these cameras. So the million dollar choice is hope the price drops again in July or go for it now?? Throw in the theory that a whole lot of people would recommend the Pentax K5 over the D7k, and the Pentax is less money. I'm giving myself a headache just thinking about this....

Marc32 said:
I don't think the D90 is an option for me. If I'm going to upgrade, I'm not going to spend the money on a camera body thats already discontinued and been replaced with the D7000. I'd choose the D3200 over the D90 if it weren't missing some features even my FZ150 has (swivel screen, AEB, no bulb mode being the big ones) As for price, the D90 is running around $850 right now and the D5100 is down to $550 until the end of June. What's killing me right now is that I can split up the D5100 and the lens ordering them apart. With the D7k, it's all the cash upfront, but done and over with. I've played with the D5100, D7k, T3i, and 60d in the camera shops. I really had no preference to size, weight, egromatics, etc so for me atleast, it comes down to getting the best I can for what I can spend. Nikon has been dropping the D5100 prices by $50 a month since April, and the D7k is $100 off right now. Amazon is also throwing in some freebies to sweeten the pot on each of these cameras. So the million dollar choice is hope the price drops again in July or go for it now?? Throw in the theory that a whole lot of people would recommend the Pentax K5 over the D7k, and the Pentax is less money. I'm giving myself a headache just thinking about this....

Wait and build up your budget, wait and see how much the d7k cost when the d7100 is launched. Or depending how far you're taking this hobby/career look at used d700. Compare the prices for new/used d700 body vs.d7k new/used and good luck.

I sold my D90 with 18-105 for around $800 not too long ago. In my opinion, it is still one of the better values out there on the used market. When I had the D90, the D7000 just wasn't enough of an 'upgrade' to make me want one. Instead, I went the D700 and am glad I did.

For me, the D7000 just never has made sense to me from a value to cost ratio, but if you are deciding between the D5100 and the D7000, I would say D7000 in a heart beat. The D3000/3100/5000/5100 bodies are just lacking so many of the thigns I take foregranted. A few that haven't been mentioned, yet...top LCD, pentaprism vs pentamirror view finder, better controls, flash commander built in, etc, etc. FWIW, the D90 also has all of those things. What you get in the d7000 over the D90 is about a half stop better noise at higher ISO's and more megapixels. If that's worth the money to you, go for it.

The D5100 wouldn't even be on my list.

I have the d5100 and If I had it to do over I would get the d7000.

The D700 is going to be way, way overboard for what I'd ever get out of it. I have no plans to do photography professionally, I just like the art form of being able to take an amazing picture, and tell a story with it. I have a few vacations I'd like to take within the next few years and visit places I've seen fascinating images taken at. (slot canyons w/light beams, horseshoe bend, badwater basin, and the famous japanese maple tree in Portland OR to name a few) That would be the big reason to get into a DSLR from my FZ150 bridge camera. I think it's a capable camera, however it still has limitations like any other camera. When I'm out shooting, I want equiptment that will give me the results I want to have, but the rest of the time, it's a lot of money in a camera bag sitting in the closet as I don't shoot every day.

Honestly, if the D3200 wasn't so stripped of some of it's features, I think that camera would be all I'd ever need. I thought I had it figured out with the D5100/16-85. I've been completely surprised with the results and votes here that support going up one model to the D7k. I think I need to do more careful research, considering the $1500 price tag (which for me, is huge) and be absolutly certain the D7k with the 18-105 is the correct way for me to go.

Kerbouchard said:
I sold my D90 with 18-105 for around $800 not too long ago. In my opinion, it is still one of the better values out there on the used market. When I had the D90, the D7000 just wasn't enough of an 'upgrade' to make me want one. Instead, I went the D700 and am glad I did.

For me, the D7000 just never has made sense to me from a value to cost ratio, but if you are deciding between the D5100 and the D7000, I would say D7000 in a heart beat. The D3000/3100/5000/5100 bodies are just lacking so many of the thigns I take foregranted. A few that haven't been mentioned, yet...top LCD, pentaprism vs pentamirror view finder, better controls, flash commander built in, etc, etc. FWIW, the D90 also has all of those things. What you get in the d7000 over the D90 is about a half stop better noise at higher ISO's and more megapixels. If that's worth the money to you, go for it.

The D5100 wouldn't even be on my list.

X2

The D700 is going to be way, way overboard for what I'd ever get out of it. I have no plans to do photography professionally, I just like the art form of being able to take an amazing picture, and tell a story with it. I have a few vacations I'd like to take within the next few years and visit places I've seen fascinating images taken at. (slot canyons w/light beams, horseshoe bend, badwater basin, and the famous japanese maple tree in Portland OR to name a few) That would be the big reason to get into a DSLR from my FZ150 bridge camera. I think it's a capable camera, however it still has limitations like any other camera. When I'm out shooting, I want equiptment that will give me the results I want to have, but the rest of the time, it's a lot of money in a camera bag sitting in the closet as I don't shoot every day.

Honestly, if the D3200 wasn't so stripped of some of it's features, I think that camera would be all I'd ever need. I thought I had it figured out with the D5100/16-85. I've been completely surprised with the results and votes here that support going up one model to the D7k. I think I need to do more careful research, considering the $1500 price tag (which for me, is huge) and be absolutly certain the D7k with the 18-105 is the correct way for me to go.

I didn't say you should buy the D700. I said that I think you shouldn't overlook the D90, especially since you can find one for around $800, which is a lot less than the $1500 price tag you are currently looking at. I think the D7000 is a marginal upgrade over the D90, and certainly not worth twice the price.

If you think the D3200 would work for you other than the stripped down features, the D90 is exactly the camera you want.

Just my .02

I'm still not sold on a D90. The best price I've seen so far (not to say that tomorrow a amazing deal won't pop up) is only about $300 less than the D7k. For that difference, I'd be buying into a newer model, and far more importantly, into Nikon's factory warranty. The idea of buying a camera off craigslist used for $800 cash....I'll just never be able to do it. You really have no idea what you're buying, taking the seller on his/her word, and I'm just not seasoned enough in photography equiptment to know exactly what I'm getting into. Buying used or recon from B+H is a good idea, but it's still only a 90 day warranty. I'd pay the $300 just for peace of mind.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the D3200 is what I want, but my point was any DSLR, even a T3, will be an improvement over a bridge camera. FWIW I've been very happy with what I've gotten out of my FZ150. I just have new things in photography I'd like to try my hand at that are beyond the capability of the Panasonic. I'd like to take the next step up, I'm just struggling with how big a step I can take toward a D5100 or D7k. Is the D7k too big a step from a bridge camera? There's so much info on each camera and what are the 'best' lenses for each that it's overwhelming. For every person that says the 18-105 is a great lens, theres a Ken Rockwell who says it's one of his least favorites. Should I combine advice and get a D5100 with a 18-105 instead of the 16-85? The savings between both lenses would pay for the 35mm f/1.8 plus B+H is including a Tiffen UV and CPL free with a new 18-105. What to do, what to do????

I've searched for the comparisons between the D5100 and D7k, but I've not been able to locate the page. Could someone post a link?

I'm still not sold on a D90. The best price I've seen so far (not to say that tomorrow a amazing deal won't pop up) is only about $300 less than the D7k. For that difference, I'd be buying into a newer model, and far more importantly, into Nikon's factory warranty. The idea of buying a camera off craigslist used for $800 cash....I'll just never be able to do it.

What!??! You can get a like new D90 all day for $550-600. Hell there's even one in there WITH the grip for $525.

FS: Nikon D90 and 24mm f/2.8 AF - FM Forums
FS: Nikon D90 & Nikon D200 - FM Forums
FS: Nikon Lot - D90, 35mm f1.8G, 70-300mm VR, 18-55mm VR, 50mm f/1.8, SB-900, Sigma 50mm Macro f/2.8 - FM Forums
FS: Nikon D90 + Battery Grip ** 12K shutter clicks only ** - FM Forums
FS: Nikon D90 - Very Low Mileage - FM Forums

Buying only brand new when you're on a strict budget is kindof ridiculous to me. I've bought MANY things used off that site and pretty much everything I got has looked like it had never been used. Just check the users feedback and use paypal (not gift option) and you shouldn't ever have any problems. BTW, if you ever plan on shooting under circumstances that might require changing any settings... the difference in a D5100 or a D7000 (D90) is huge. Same sensor, sure, but similarities end there.

Most of the stuff I own, I have bought used. Like mjhoward said, if you are on a budget, 'new' shouldn't even be on the table. You can easily look at somebody's posting history and figure out if they are somebody you want to do business with or not.

I just think your attitude has backed you into a choice between a lesser camera and a camera that costs more than you are comfortable with.

Adorama, B&H, Meh are all reputable dealers. Good place to start in the used department.

Did you confuse the threads somehow ?
No I did not, I just mentioned a third option that might be an excellent compromise between the two mentioned by the OP :)

Ciao!

I'm willing to pay for new as long as I know its the right choice for me. I'll sit for another couple months if the D7k turns out to be that choice. If you've been lucky buying used, more power to you. I've been burnt twice with used gear (not photography gear) so it's worth it to me to buy new and have a good warranty behind it. I'm also not doubting the ability of the D90, its just that personally I would order a D7k first for the reasons above. Even a D7k reconditoned would probably work well for me, however, it's only about 20 bucks less than a brand new model right now. For that small difference, I'd buy new. If I could find a brand new D90 somewhere, and the price was discounted enough to make it an amazing deal, I'd consider it. have not found that deal yet.

Marc32 said:
I'm willing to pay for new as long as I know its the right choice for me. I'll sit for another couple months if the D7k turns out to be that choice. If you've been lucky buying used, more power to you. I've been burnt twice with used gear (not photography gear) so it's worth it to me to buy new and have a good warranty behind it. I'm also not doubting the ability of the D90, its just that personally I would order a D7k first for the reasons above. Even a D7k reconditoned would probably work well for me, however, it's only about 20 bucks less than a brand new model right now. For that small difference, I'd buy new. If I could find a brand new D90 somewhere, and the price was discounted enough to make it an amazing deal, I'd consider it. have not found that deal yet.

Have you checked those websites even Amazon may have good package deals.

I've checked them all and so far B+H is the best I've found. They have a D90 w/18-105 for $980. Not a terrible buy, but not an amazing one either. I think I will keep looking and keep a sharp eye out for a better deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back