DSLR for HD Video - Your preference.

TheJord

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

A quick introduction; my name is Jordan, i'm 23, have a degree in Film Prod. and like Frogs. (Irrelevant but fascinating in equal measure).
My experience with film kit / lenses has mainly been with Cameras such as the Sony V1 / The RED ONE / Panasonic G-Series etc..

I want to move into the world of DSLR for my film-making and purchase a DSLR in the £600 - £1000 price range. I have fairly exhaustively
made comparison between various models include the Canon 550D, 600D, 60D, 650D, 7D and 5D Mark III and their Nikon equivalents where
possible. Basically, the 7D is at the top of my price range, I can't really stretch to the 5D Mark III just yet.

I suppose the question is this, what combination of DSLR and Lens do you feel is currently most suited to cinematic film-making? The budget
accounts only for the Body, I am happy to wack another £900 on top for a lens (or multiple lenses) if necessary.

A bit about my requirements: I will always be pulling focus manually, I need slow mo at 60fps, I need 24fps normal, I need 1080p HD and I'm not bothered about autoburst or still image quality, this camera will be for videography only.

I have steadicam kit, shoulder mounts, lighting setup and Rode Mics / Boom Kit already, so this needn't be an issue. I also have the Tascam audio mixer for sound.

Cheers Guys and Girls; a great help.
Jordan

Look at the 5dMII or the equivelent full frame at Nikon. For video I imagine you want the full use of your lenses. Nothing is going to auto focus, so really....it's just preference. I know a lot of people use the 7d for video (I plan to) but if sole purpose is video......full frame it is.

Look at the 5dMII or the equivelent full frame at Nikon. For video I imagine you want the full use of your lenses. Nothing is going to auto focus, so really....it's just preference. I know a lot of people use the 7d for video (I plan to) but if sole purpose is video......full frame it is.

Cheers Grant; I suspected the 5dMII might take it. Not in my price range, but certainly answers the question. What I would say is that the 60D with Magic Lantern firmware seems like quite a formidable choice, add a couple of nice Prime Lenses and it could be a go-er.

I have the 60D and I love it for video. It's not the greatest high ISO performer but the swivel screen is VERY handy and it has the native ability to adjust sound levels.

rexbobcat said:
I have the 60D and I love it for video. It's not the greatest high ISO performer but the swivel screen is VERY handy and it has the native ability to adjust sound levels.

Then why not just get the T3i? Btw, OP, get magic lantern on your Canon

-Ken Turner

TheKenTurner said:
Then why not just get the T3i? Btw, OP, get magic lantern on your Canon

-Ken Turner

Even with magic lantern installed on T3i I don't think you can switch off AGC (if you are dependent on using the crummy thing). if the swivel isn't important to you then just get the T2i. Use the saved money to get a Rode mic and you're all set :)

swiftparkour94 said:
Even with magic lantern installed on T3i I don't think you can switch off AGC (if you are dependent on using the crummy thing). if the swivel isn't important to you then just get the T2i. Use the saved money to get a Rode mic and you're all set :)

I agree with this. Save money and get the rode mic. They are awesome for video. I have one and it blocks out background noise like a charm.

If you can't stretch your budget to get the 5DIII, then the 550D would be the next best option. The only thing you gain (well, aside from audio), from going with the 600D or 60D is the swivel screen. Not worth it, IMO.

Keep in mind that the 550D does NOT have manual gain control with the stock firmware. Magic Lantern will give you this ability.

For the price of a 5DIII, you could buy 2-4 50D's.

have you checked out the d600?

Hickeydog said:
If you can't stretch your budget to get the 5DIII, then the 550D would be the next best option. The only thing you gain (well, aside from audio), from going with the 600D or 60D is the swivel screen. Not worth it, IMO.

Keep in mind that the 550D does NOT have manual gain control with the stock firmware. Magic Lantern will give you this ability.

For the price of a 5DIII, you could buy 2-4 50D's.

Honestly, the 5D mark iii is a terrible reference due to one word: budget. Best full frame camera on a budget is the 5D mark II and I object to those that say otherwise.

Side note- when shooting use a v-finder (check out the swi-view on amazon, I have it and it is amazing), it blocks out light, ensures more visually accurate exposures, keeps the camera steady when pressed tight against your eye, and is very versatile. If I was in your position and wanted to save gobs of money I'd do this: Buy a lightly used 550/T2i from craigslist, get the swi-view Vfinder, a rode shotgun mic, off brand Photive batteries (roughly $12 each, perform exactly the same as Canon's, don't overheat, amazing!), a Meike battery grip, and that's it. You'll probably not want to get a shoulder rig after getting the Vfinder, it surprised me too. Amazon is your friend, obsessively read reviews as I do and you'll find cheap stuff for practically the same quality as other brands. If you are going to be in low light a lot, ehhh, you're going to need a full frame camera. There is lots more accessories and things to get out there but only get them as you see it in need of. I guarantee you what I've mentioned will help. Oh, and GET MAGIC LANTERN on 16 or 32GB SanDisk cards. If you need help on the super easy installation process then I can give you my Skype if you'd like

Most reactions

Back