DSLR for low light, arty stuff

Nikon D5000 is a good camera, but for under 1K you can't really expect great low light high ISO, ur best bet is D90 as far as nikons go!

Nikon D5000 is a good camera, but for under 1K you can't really expect great low light high ISO, ur best bet is D90 as far as nikons go!
Actually, since the D5000 and D90 have the same CMOS image sensor, they have almost identical ISO performance. If the D5000 had the EXPEED image processing module shared by the D90/D300/D300s it would be closer than almost, and frankly the D90's ISO performance, while pretty decent, isn't stellar by any measure.

Oh. I missed the first and last paragraph, theyre tiny. :lol:

I say go for a D90 body with either a new 50mm 1.8 or 18-55mm.

Mark

Oh. I missed the first and last paragraph, theyre tiny. :lol:

I say go for a D90 body with either a new 50mm 1.8 or 18-55mm.

Mark

I 2nd that, and then add a nikon film body, like a nikon fe for about $100. Film will help with those ultra long exposures that get so noisy with digital.

Hate to break it to you but that mustache guy is very knowledgeable with just about every camera system there is.
Sadly such information is lost when one condescends and goes overboard with the sarcasm. It in fact has the OPPOSITE effect, as is being demonstrated here. You can be the smartest person in the world, but if you don't know how to talk to people - who is going to listen to you?
But if you do have all the knowledge in the world, then why would you care if someone who demonstrates no proactive qualities, doesn't listen to you?

They are being proactive. Instead of relying on information cobbled from various disparate posts, they are seeking information on their (to them) unique question. There is nothing in the rules that says a person can't post a "recommendation" thread; so why wouldn't they?

Regardless, the mans tone was nasty and unnecessary. If you're supposed to be leading with knowledge, why not also act like a leader as well. Or do you really think the way he phrased his response was totally fine?

Hi everyone, new here- great forum!
I have the typical "which DSLR for 1st time buyer, under $1000" kind of question, so please bear with me....
I thought I'd start with specifics instead of just a vague "what's best?" type of question.

I've been shooting with a Canon S3IS for a few years now, along with a Holga & and occasionally an old Minolta 35mm SLR (X700). I use the Canon S3IS the most due to the convenience of the digital format. It's an "advanced compact"-style camera, and I'm finally reaching the limits of what it can do. I'm looking to by my first digital SLR, but I'm not looking for one that thinks too much for me. Ikind of want the camera to operate & feel like an old film SLR, I don't really care about HD video or having tons of pre-programmed shooting modes- just great photos from a camera that I can control.

I'm not looking for a camera to shoot family gatherings or kid's soccer practice, but something more for what I tend to shoot- low light, nighttime, stars/moon, rainy/snowy weather, indoor, landscapes, some portraits and "light painting". I don't like to use a flash, and I'd prefer to focus manually more often then not. I usually aim for using the lowest possible ISO and I'm not a huge fan of noise in my pictures. I like to have a shallow DOF/Bokeh in a lot of my shots, too.
I'm not a total victim of megapixel marketing (it's about the glass & the sensor, right?), but I tend use my photos for drawing references, so I often crop & zoom my pics for composition.

I've been armchair researching cameras for about a month now, and there are a ton of options out there, as you all know.

I keep going back and forth between the Canon T1i, Nikon D5000, and the Pentax K200D. The Pentax is the most intriguing to me with it's weather seals, build quality, and backwards compatibility with all kinds of lenses.
I don't have any experience with Pentax, however, and I'm not super into my Canon S3's build quality/operation.
I'm not opposed to buying used gear either, I've been looking at higher end but older Canons & Nikons on eBay as well.

Wow, that was long-winded!
I appreciate any help/info/opinions that could steer me a little towards the right camera & lenses. I realize that my demands & budget (under $1000) limit my choices, but I think I can get something pretty close to what I need.
Well, I bolded the parts that actually mean something.
So you're looking for your first DSLR that is under $1000 (new or used), that has good HIGH ISO performance, LOW noise, enough Mpix to be able to crop your photos with good results.
Your manual focus, modes, flash, DOF/Bokeh, etc... requirements are of no concern really.
I'm from the Nikon camp, SO I am going to recommend, a Nikon body... If you can afford it, the D90 would fit your needs just fine, and then some. Lots of buttons to change settings :thumbup: To pair it with a Nikkor fast prime like the 50mm f/1.8 would give you your low light performance you are looking for, along with your shallow DOF, and the ability to manually focus until your hearts content.
IF you feel the D90 is too much camera right away, then the D5000 is a great secondary choice... sharing the same CMOS sensor will give it comparable low light performance, and you'll have money left over to maybe pick up the 50mm f/1.4 (great glass).
You'll have less available buttons and ease of use/settings on the fly, but it may not matter to you.

Comparisons
c3.jpg

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

One problem you are going to face is manual focus. I am a 35mm SLR user myself. I started with the Nikon F501 which has enormous view finder that makes manual focusing really easy. I have the F4s now. The view finder is a little smaller, but it's 100% crop, so it's what things should look like.

That said, I've tried cropped sensor view finders on both Canon and Nikon, and I find them almost impossible to get a good manual focus. Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty hard. I have also tried the D700 which is full frame, and it's the same as the F4. So if you want to stick to your price range, expect challenges in manual focusing. I'd say definitely try the camera(from someone you know or rent one) first before making the decision.

There are numerous situations in which it is pointless to focus manually, and take away control from the camera.
In situations like controlling your depth of field or focal point with a wide open aperture, then manual focus on a D90 is fairly easy to use.

The vast majority of Nikon lenses send distance info to the camera CPU and will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when manual focus has been achieved.

Most reactions

Back