DSLR For street photography

ydsquare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had Canon Rebel XS, with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens and 50mm f1.8. Used it for 18 months. And realized my style/ needs.

1. Low light - Like to shoot evening/ night and also indoor - preferably without flash. Rebel XS had bad ISO performance and would go only upto ISO1600.
2. Don't really need 100mm + reach. Only wanna do street photography and travel/ family.

I sold XS, 18-55mm and 50mm lens to a friend.

I have $2500 to $3000 budget for a new gear. What should I get?

Some things I am thinking -

Nikon D7000 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f1.8 + 85mm f1.8 + 11-16mm Tokina (i can and would like to live with primes)

Would like to go with canon APS-C but 60D is probably not as good as D7000 and 7D is little costlier. Also, canon has not revised its consumer wide primes. Nikon on the other hand came up with very good 35mm f1.8 for DX. Wish there was similar 24mm f1.8 :|

Also tempted by 5dmkii (available in Canada for $2000) and 50mm f1.4 + 35mm f2. THATS IT. -- but probably too limiting and 5dmkii could be more bulky than APS-C dslr.

Or should i go for 4/3rds with summilux 25mm f1.4 / panasonic 20mm f1.7 etc.? Could be good for street, but will not get that "bokeh" for family portraits?

Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

Well the Full-Frame aspect of the 5Dmkii will give you better control over bokeh and DOF, while the D7000 combo will give you more lenses. For me, i would rather have the 5dmkii just because its a full frame camera, and has better bokeh control, which i feel is important in street photography. However, it's an older camera, whereas the D7000 is newer, lighter, better ISO performance, etc. It's a toss up, and i don't know that much to be honest about the 5dmkii. Hopefully someone with more input could help you decide.

Oh, and to be honest, the canon 50mm 1.4 and 35mm f2 are great lenses from what i have heard. However, you might want more reach (less personal as you don't have to be so close)

Someone is selling there d7000 for $975 with manual, box, and cables. Check the buy and sell section.

D7000, iPhone 3GS

Hi all,

1. Low light - Like to shoot evening/ night and also indoor - preferably without flash. Rebel XS had bad ISO performance and would go only upto ISO1600.
2. Don't really need 100mm + reach. Only wanna do street photography and travel/ family.

I have $2500 to $3000 budget for a new gear. What should I get?

Some things I am thinking -

Nikon D7000 + 35mm f1.8 + 85mm f1.8 + 11-16mm Tokina (i can and would like to live with primes)

This is the kit I'd go with. I'd skip the 24mm for now and see if it's a necessity. It's a cool focal length on DX but since it's F2.8, I'd just invest in a Tamron 17-50 instead.

I'd also rethink the flash. The high ISO of the newer bodies is nice but won't replace a speedlight in some conditions.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back