DSLR in which photos can be viewed in viewfinder

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know of a DSLR that lets you review your photos through the viewfinder? I had a Fujica bridge camera, which had the choice as to screen or viewfinder for reviewing pictures. Unfortunately, I gave it away, after purchasing my DSLR, a few years, ago. I wear reading glasses and with, or without specs, it is next to impossible to see anything on the screen in daylight.
I have a Canon 7D, but I am guessing that I would have the same problem with any LCD.

By it's very definition, DSLRs use a mirror between the lens and viewfinder (the R standing for Reflex). This precludes the use of any electronic viewfinder.

The very nature of a DSLR camera is the fact that it has an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder looks out the lens, as such, there is not a way to see the saved images in the viewfinder.

Some 'bridge' cameras (or whatever label you want to give them) use an electronic viewfinder, which just has a small LCD screen behind the eye piece, so it can show you anything.

I would suggest finding a way to view the screen on your 7D more easily. Turn up the brightness? Cover it with something? You can find products to allow for better viewing of the LCD. A hood, an eye piece etc.

While they aren’t technically DSLRs, what you’re looking for is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Something like the Fuji XT-2, or Sony A7RII. Not sure of your budget, those are just the two I’m most familiar with. There are mirrorless camera to suit any budget.

It sounds like you may benefit from going mirrorless, in my opinion. And I don’t say that to many people.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As mentioned DSLR cameras have an optical viewfinder that lets the photographer see through the lens (TTL).

Mirrorless cameras have an electronic display (EVF) that shows what the image sensor sees.

You're out of luck.

I'm demanding this since years but so far there is no DSLR offered that has an EVF during lifeview (thats the mode when the mirror is locked up and the shutter is opened; it is for example necessary for video recording with a DSLR; without an EVF, the viewfinder is dark in this mode and you have to watch the backside monitor instead).

There have been rumors both about the Nikon Df and the Nikon D850 before their release that these cameras would have this features, sadly in both cases this did not turn out to be true.

Combined with features like Focus Peaking this would be absolutely awesome to have, basically best of both worlds between DSLRs and mirrorless. Really have EVF during lifeview, focus peaking, fast selection of AF points during lifeview and sensor bases image stabilization and there would be very little objective reason left for anyone to buy mirrorless, especially if you add the superior lens selection for Nikon and the vast other advantages of that system, like the support and the price advantage thanks to mass production.

All that would really remain is a slight advantage of mirrorless with smaller sensors, like Fujifilm X, that they could be substantially more compact. This advantage all but vanishes if the mirrorless camera has the same sensor size, though.

Well OK what also is the case that some of these mirrorless cameras, namely the Panasonic ones, support video really well. If you want to go a cheap but powerful video setup, Panasonic is currently the way to go. The rumor mill says Fujifilm also wants a piece of that market, though. They have made video lenses since decades and they recently introduced two new video lenses, a normal and a telephoto zoom, which will be available for Fujifilm X mount, too, soon.

Nikon clearly doesnt want their cameras to be especially good at video, I am not sure why. Personally I'm not a video guy anyway, so I dont care about this aspect too much.

Sadly Nikon didnt do anything of this sort since ages. Instead they ran into the D600 and D750 disasters, aside from other problems with their current lineup.

Thanks for all the information, everyone. Sounds like an LCD hood or an umbrella is my best option.

Here you go. No need for a new camera.
=dslr+lcd

How does that help review images if it's attached to the viewfinder?

It doesn’t attach to the viewfinder. It turns the rear LCD into one.

right, the OP apparently has trouble viewing the pics in sunlight on the LCD or electronic VF
maybe look at the pics in the shade?
I understand and that is what this device is for. It turns your LCD into a viewfinder. Exactly what the OP is asking for.

Thanks for all the information, everyone. Sounds like an LCD hood or an umbrella is my best option.
Or turn your body so the camera is in the shade.

When shooting outside, in the sun. I have used a towel to cover my head and the camera to look at the images for portraits. But the hood looks like a better option to me now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back