DSLR lcd screens.

sobi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of upgrading from my sony dsc-f717. I'm by no measure a pro, but constantly learning and as humble as possible, I have to say I take some descent photos. My concern is the LCD on the DSLRs. On my sony, I can get a preview of what my shot will (to some degree) look like. IE - If my f-stop is too high, the screen shows that the shot is dark. Do DSLRs like the nikon D-80 and D-200 or the Canon 40D have that feature? If I purchase one of those, is my only gauge the light meter on the camera through the eye piece, or can I use the LCD screen on the back to gauge my shots to see if my settings are correct?

After you shoot, the image comes up for you to view...you can then delete if it's garbage...
it also flashes the blown highlights a black colour...then you know there's blown highlights.

You won't miss your P+S screen one bit.

The new Olympus models like the E-510 have live-view which lets you see what you're shooting on the LCD display. I've heard that as you make changes like ISO and aperture the screen will adjust accordingly, but I haven't seen it for myself yet.

After you shoot, the image comes up for you to view...you can then delete if it's garbage...
it also flashes the blown highlights a black colour...then you know there's blown highlights.

You won't miss your P+S screen one bit.

when it flashes the blown highlights in black, is this before or after you shoot your image? Also, what brand does this?

when it flashes the blown highlights in black, is this before or after you shoot your image? Also, what brand does this?

after. But it's so quick, there's barely a difference...I got used to it instantly.

Canon and Nikon both do this. I'm sure others do it as well.

An SLR camera allows you to look through the viewfinder and see what the lens is seeing, directly...with no electronic hooey. I'd call that an upgrade from what you are used to.

I went from a film to point & shoot and after 8 years of being used to a p&s I was weary of the new dslr's 2. I have the sony a-100 for a couple of months now and I can't shoot with my p&s anymore. the Sony has a button on it that lets you preview how your shot will turn out(close to it) and after you take the pic it's no different from the P&S it lets you see the pic on the screen just like the p&s ( but with a better picture) You will not regret buying a dlsr, and won't miss the P&S at all

I don't miss the live view stuff on P&S's. Have you ever tried to use that in broad daylight? You just use the viewfinder on a DSLR. Seems odd at first, but you quickly get used to it. I think most DSLR shooters consider the new "live view" features on cameras like the 40D or D300 to be more gimmicky than anything. It does come in handy if you have a full time mirror lockup though for super tele shots for example and you don't want mirror vibrations getting into your shot.

learn to read a histogram, it makes things easier.

Double H has it right!

to be honest at first when i gt my 400d i was a bit thrown back by the no live-preview thing, but after a while im used to that and prefer it so much more..dont think i could use my other camera (normal digicam) using the LCD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back