DSLR Noob Saying Hi

DiamondSCattleCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before I started irritating folks with alot of questions, I thought I should at least introduce myself.

My name is Rod, and I've been using digital cameras for quite a number of years now. My first was a Fuji 2600 Zoom, which I still have kicking around here somewhere. Loved that battery eating little unit, mainly because of the nicely saturated colors. "Stepped up" to a Kodak Z650 Megazoom a couple years ago, but didn't really care for it.

This past Christmas, my wife bought me my first decent point and shoot, a Canon A590, and I got hooked on goofing around with the settings and moving from "taking pictures" to "creating artwork".

It didn't take me long to max out the capabilities of the A590, especially with macro work, so I started saving for a decent DSLR. I'd decided on a Nikon D60, and was saving my pennies, when a Nikon D50 came up on eBay that no-one seemed to want. I put in a joke bid, and ended up with a D50, a Nikkor AF 28-80 f/3.3 - 5.6G and a Nikkor AF 70-300 f/4-5.6G for not much money.

I am currently (im)patiently waiting for the camera to arrive, and am doing as much research and learning as I can before it gets here. I understand the 28-80 is fairly well regarded, however the 70-300 isn't a great lens, so I _may_ end up hunting for a good telephoto someday, although I don't do much long range work. After I put the 28-80 through its paces, I'll see if it works well for portaits, and if it does, I'll be putting some money into a macro lens.

So, I apologize in advance for any dumb questions, and look forward to your comments when I get around to posting some of my attempts.

Most reactions

Back