DSLR Question

MTB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Firstly, my name is Matthew, and I've been doing photography as a hobby since I was 14, I'm 17 now. I have three years of hobby experience. Minor stuff... Anyhow, I need a new digital camera, yet I'm strapped for cash. With that said, I've found two cameras in my price range, both are from Fuji, and I have a few questions. I'll put down what I'd like to do, and hopefully you all here can tell me if these cameras will fit my needs.

I do mostly ultra close ups, abstracts, portraitures, etcetera. My main focus is having a camera that will allow breath taking landscapes, as well as awe inspiring close ups of our mother earth. So, please, do not hesitate to correct my camera choices, bear in mind, however, I can only spend about $600 - $700 TOTALLY. Including any lens upgrades, etcetera. I'm looking at lower end cameras so as to allow for upgrades to them. If you all know of any cameras that offer great range of use within that range, let me know. Anyhow, here's the cameras:

Fujifilm FinePix s8000fd 8MP Digital Camera w/18x Optical Zoom and Image Stabilization

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Fine...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208481727&sr=8-3

Fujifilm Finepix S8100fd 10MP Digital Camera with 18x Wide Angle Dual Image Stabilized Optical Zoom

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Fine...ref=dp_ob_title?ie=UTF8&qid=1208481727&sr=8-3

I would very much prefer a camera that will serve me well now, with a basic to intermediate understanding of photography, as well as later on down the road when I have a bit more of an advanced understanding. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, if I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

- MTB

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know that the cameras your looking at are not DSLR's, right? A DSLR is a camera that can change lenses, the cameras you directed us to have a fixed lens.

You know that the cameras your looking at are not DSLR's, right? A DSLR is a camera that can change lenses, the cameras you directed us to have a fixed lens.

No kidding? The 10MP has reviews on it on various websites about the someone interchanging macro lenses with the stock lens and various other lenses. :confused:

No kidding? The 10MP has reviews on it on various websites about the someone interchanging macro lenses with the stock lens and various other lenses. :confused:

The lenses they are talking about are add-on lenses that you add to the fixed lens of the camera to change the field of view. They usually decrease image quality considerably.

You might want to investigate some entry-level cameras on the used market. They won't have '18x' zoom by any means, but they will have more creative options, and you'll learn some important things about camera control, etc.

My recommendations for your price range (all used): Nikon d40/50 or 70, Canon Rebel XT or 20D, Pentax K10D or Sony a100.

Id recommend trying to get yourself a Nikon D50

I have one and its a great lil DSLR
you can probably pick one up about $400-$500 ( may be hard to find ebay will have em)
My uncle just got one brand new for $400.

then you can pick up a 50mm f1.8 lens for about $100
and a sigma 70-300mm zoom lens for about $150
I have both those lenses and there decent.

start off with that and go from there :)

If you decide to go with a Canon camera instead of Nikon (not to start the Canon/Nikon debate, of course), the 400D/Digital Rebel XTi is a good starter.

As its been said, get a dslr. You will not be dissapointed. You will have much more control with a dslr then those dslr-likes you posted.

Yeah, dSLR is the way to go if you want to get further into photography. I'll only buy a non-dSLR for one reason - if I want to get a camera that I can take underwater. And then I'd get a waterproof digital p/s. Other than that, dSLR all the way. I'm addicted to the freedom.

I’m not familiar with the cameras or your needs and shooting style. Of the two the S8100fd seem to be the better camera by the numbers. As for improving I not sure how far you can go with this camera. I hope by now you have asked your questions as to what you want and need in a camera.

There are 300D's (Digital Rebel) going for like $250 these days. I wish they would have been selling for that cheap when I first got into digital photography, it would have been a wonderful starter camera. You can also pick up the Nikon D70 for around $400 if you get lucky.

Technically speaking...

DSLR is Digital SLR
SLR is Single Light Reflex

From wiki:

The single-lens reflex (SLR) camera uses an automatic moving mirror system which permits the photographer to see exactly what will be captured by the film or digital imaging system, as opposed to non-SLR cameras where the view through the viewfinder could be significantly different from what was captured on film.

So even though it is widely assumed, a SLR (thereby a DSLR) does not necessarily mean a camera with interchangeable lenses.

If you decide to go with a Canon camera instead of Nikon (not to start the Canon/Nikon debate, of course), the 400D/Digital Rebel XTi is a good starter.

Okay... I'll bite.... Why?

Okay... I'll bite.... Why?

Because it's relatively inexpensive. It will give you the important stuff - shutter, aperture and manual modes, alterable ISO, interchangeable lenses - without having you pay for stuff that beginners rarely use (like 6frames per second, or ISO 3200), and if you upgrade your equipment (buy a fancy flash etc) you will be able to use it when you upgrade to a better camera (except for the EF-S lenses, which you can't use on a full frame camera.

basically, you're buying a solid little workhorse that gives you a good foot in the door of the dSLR world without costing an arm and a leg.

Nikon would have a similar camera, although I couldn't tell you which one.

Most reactions

Back