dSLR recommendation?

Hmmmm... OK so, from what you're telling me, any manual focus Nikon lens back to one of the earlier film camera mounts, will fit on even the newest Nikon bodies with no issues?
BUT the autofocus lenses, only the new ones fit on the D5000, and the older ones will fit on the D90. Will the new ones work with the D90?
I'd rather go with a D90, but if I can't use dad's lenses then it's not a very good deal, and maybe I should just get the D5000 for now and step up to a better body in a few years.

Hmmmm... OK so, from what you're telling me, any manual focus Nikon lens back to one of the earlier film camera mounts, will fit on even the newest Nikon bodies with no issues?
BUT the autofocus lenses, only the new ones fit on the D5000, and the older ones will fit on the D90. Will the new ones work with the D90?
I'd rather go with a D90, but if I can't use dad's lenses then it's not a very good deal, and maybe I should just get the D5000 for now and step up to a better body in a few years.

the lens would fit and shoot, but would not auto focus and in some cases may not meter. i think the D5000 is probably the worst bang for the buck on the market right now. it's extremely expensive for what you get. i would rather have a used D50 than a D5000.

OK so, from what you're telling me, any manual focus Nikon lens back to one of the earlier film camera mounts, will fit on even the newest Nikon bodies with no issues?

Some won't meter, depends how old we're talking :)

Correct, and the new ones will work on the D90 as well.

My current camera has no meter, so as long as I can set things up manually, particularly with a digital camera where I have immediate feedback on how the image turned out, not being able to meter is really not an issue for me. Nor is manual focus.

I'll probably get a D90, then! :D
Dad's set on the D5000, though. Whatever, its his $. And that way, I still have the best camera in the family... :mrgreen:

JustAnEngineer - thanks! Yeah, I've seen a similar chart... but it means my macro extension rings, and my macro T-mount zoom will be compatable with a d90 - I think. Even though my 50 and 200 won't.

Here's the kit I would put together for that price (all available gently used on the auction site).

Nikon d200 ($500)
50mm f1.8 prime ais mf lens ($50) <--- your low light/portrait prime
Nikon 105mm f4 micro ais mf lens + macro extention tube ($200) <--- your macro setup
Tamron 28-300mm xr di ($200) <-- you're every day zoom

This kit would blow away any "new" kit you could put together for under $1000. The benefit of the d200 is that you can use older ais mf lenses to save $$.

for a $1000 I would buy a D90 or a D200 plus it will give you a used 18-55mm
If you want to have one more lens i suggest a 55-200

If you never want to take the lens off i suggest a D200 w/ 18-200 VR and that would be up to 1000$

I myself bought a pro Dslr D1x for $300 and then a 18-200VR, This would be great. if you want to see samples of the camera check it out

P a v e L Shpak - My Blogies

My dad gets his camera tomorrow!
I'm really dying to get mine by July 4. I have major events I'd love to have a camera for, and my Nikkormat's lack of metering makes shots after dusk a complete no-go.

If only I didn't have insurance to pay...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back