Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I am just about ready to hang up my film camera and buy a Canon 400D. Its only now that i am realising there is tons of stuff i am going to have to learn about including postprocessing which seems an art form in itself.

Anyway as far as im aware the sensor on the 400d is not a "full frame sensor" meaning for starters that 50mm lens is now 80mm etc etc. What im wondering is that when i look into the viewfinder to take a photo will what i see in the viewfinder represent the cropped photo or will i have to take that into account everytime i shoot.

Dunno if im makin any sense but hope u can help me out

T

The crop factor is reflected in the viewfinder, you don't have to mentally account for it.

Going digital is a bit like changing film type for a new one. You have to learn all your'e old tricks again.
My 4 X-700s have gone to new homes , and my OM4 TI is sitting on a shelf , probably never to be used again...

You are right , you have to learn digital PP techs but you managed in the dark room with chemicals. You will enjoy the learning curve (My neighbours learned a whole new vocabulary). Have fun and GO for it..

The crop factor is reflected in the viewfinder, you don't have to mentally account for it.

More than accounted for in the viewfinder. At least in the 350D, the viewfinder is somewhere around 80-90% of the actual field of view recorded by the sensor.

More than accounted for in the viewfinder. At least in the 350D, the viewfinder is somewhere around 80-90% of the actual field of view recorded by the sensor.
As noted, it's higher...95%. Also, most 35mm film cameras don't have full viewfinder coverage...so that isn't a crop factor issue. Although, the viewfinders on small DLSR cameras like the 400D...is smaller to look at, than a typical 35mm SLR.

Hi

Anyway as far as im aware the sensor on the 400d is not a "full frame sensor" meaning for starters that 50mm lens is now 80mm etc etc.

T

NO :D

Your 50mm lens will still be a 50mm lens. (and I'll just keep writing this over and over, every day, until everyone gets the idea?) :sexywink:

The field of view, is a smaller percentage, because the sensor crops the image. The field of view will be the same "as if" you were shooting an 80mm if it was a 1.6 (.6 the size of a full frame). Your new camera isn't that, so you have even less worries.

For the other question, what you see is what you get. You don't have to factor on the fly for what the camera sees vs what the sensor sees. If it was a rangefinder or something other than a SLR you might have issues.

Keep in mind that with an SLR, you are looking through the lens. Otherwise when you changed from a 50mm to a 300mm, you would have to guestimate what area is in the photo for every different lens.

Crop Factor: Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch... :lmao:

HAHA! Yeah i get it. Not really up on the technical jargon so thats how i say it to myself in my head and it makes perfect sense. Ill be more careful with my words and do appreciate all the help on this post.

Most reactions

Back