DSLR versus Mirrorless

Interesting.. I hadn't seen the 300 mm lens for a mirrorless. I stand corrected. I don't suppose they make a 400mm or 500mm lens for them? Not being facetious - I'm actually interested in knowing.

If I wanted a 500mm manual lens for my GH3, I would buy an inexpensive 500mm mirror lens.

If I wanted to spend big bucks, I could mount a $7999 classic Sigma 300-800mm 4/3 lens and have full autoiris and autofocus control with my DMW-MA1 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tried the reflex lenses myself once, never really did get the kind of results I really wanted. I was just sort of curious because obviously there are a lot more mirrorless options out there than when I originally looked into them, which is truly amazing because I had looked into them fairly recently so the speed at which things are advancing is really remarkable.

Tried the reflex lenses myself once, never really did get the kind of results I really wanted. I was just sort of curious because obviously there are a lot more mirrorless options out there than when I originally looked into them, which is truly amazing because I had looked into them fairly recently so the speed at which things are advancing is really remarkable.

I have the same feeling. Half a year ago I did not even consider a mirrorless camera. Now I feel we are at a turning point when FF is not regarded as an exlusively pro/serious enthusiasts format anymore. Sony paves the way for an amateur Full Frame camera with an emphasis on video and auto modes for still photography. The way they are marketing their new FF A7 tells me that they aim at amateurs and even discerning beginners who can splash the cash. I guess in 5 years FF cameras will be as affordable as crop cameras are today. Canon and Nikon of course would want to keep FF as a "elite" and expensive format, but I believe the competition will not allow it. And the used FF DSLR market will drop considerably. All in all, if you do not already have a collection of lenses of a particular brand, I think today is not the best time to invest heavily in a new camera system, because the systems are changing very fast. There are rumors Nikon will soon announce a new full frame mirrorless camera with D4 sensor and the body reminiscent of their old FM2 workhorse and better build than current cameras. They say its retro design was inspired by FUJI X-series huge sussess. That would be some tasty camera. And no video. :D That means Nikon wants to market it for his elite customer base - pros and enthiusiasts. So we are definitely at a crossroads.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was actually inquiring about the camera you used to take the images posted above, I was assuming it was a four thirds and just kind of curious what the low light performance was like. Most of the photography I do is wildlife so fast autofocus and good telephoto are a must, but if at some point the hybrid systems come down in price enough to fit my budget it might be worth a look.

Ah... misunderstood. One of the photos above is from an Olympus EPL1. Its a first gen micro43 product. The other is from a newer EM5. Neither will have the same performance at high ISO with current top level DSLRs from Canon and Nikon. Then again all of the equivalent lenses are less than half the weight and size... which was the driving reason why I chose them. I would guess that the EM5 is on par with the early Canon 5d.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back