DSLR vs Mirror-Less ???

There are pros and cons to each. My second shooter has the fuji X pro1, and I love to use it.....when we have really great light. In low light, it kinda sucks. I hardly have to do any PP'ing with the images. The WB is so spot on with the Fuji. I wish Canon could figure that out.

There are pros and cons to each. My second shooter has the fuji X pro1, and I love to use it.....when we have really great light. In low light, it kinda sucks. I hardly have to do any PP'ing with the images. The WB is so spot on with the Fuji. I wish Canon could figure that out.

Your second body is an X-Pro1 :hail:
You lucky girl, its like saying my second car is a BMW.
My second camera is a Canon G15, as nice as it is its not at the same level as the X-Pro1.

Here is what I believe.

- DSLR market is a big market for camera manufacturers. And most of the sales are coming from the entry level DSLR. (And point and shoot in the past but it is shrinking pretty fast now)
- Entry level DSLR market are dominated by Canon and Nikon. Other players' entry level DSLR market are shrinking. Sony maybe able to gain some, but not a whole lot.
- Camera manufacturers' point and shoot market are shrinking pretty quick as well because of the cell Phone, especially smartphone with good camera. In the past couple years, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and now Nokia keep telling us how good their phone camera are. It seems like they are selling a camera, not a PHONE. Phone is just a feature.
- In order to survive, camera manufacturers need to find a new breed of camera that may be able to make some money. Panasonic and Olympus response with a m4/3 mirrorless camera to test the market. And it seems to work, the market response well. So other jumps in including Sony, Samsung etc. Who enter this market last, I believe it is Canon. And Nikon is also late in the game as well. I think it is because their entry level DSLR market are still quit strong.

So what I think is mirrorless camera is a tool for camera manufacturers to take a slice in the entry level consumer DSLR market segment. Did it work? I am not quite sure, since entry level DSLR market still pretty strong. But at least they are able to stay afloat as their point and shoot cameras were not selling well at all. Look at Casio now. If someone tell me now their camera division is in trouble, I will believe it. They are the one did not enter the mirrorless nor the smartphone camera market. At least not in North America.

So right now, based on the currently mirrorless cameras on the market, I see it as a high end point and shoot camera trying to break the low end DSLR market. Or a tool to avoid direct competition with the Smartphone market. It did work well in the past couple years. But the Smartphones market are just too strong nowadays unless most of the mirrorless camera are able to take good photos and share it right away in facebook or Instagram, I think they may struggle a little.

A recent study from retail sales tracking group indicating that mirrorless camera sales were down 35 percent over this year’s important Mother’s Day holiday week.

Canon DSLR 5D better than the 7D as it has 35mm sensor which is equal to having a professional camera for film

If the future becomes more "mirrorless", just keep the form-factor of a DSLR. I don't want a point & shoot looking camera with interchangeable lenses...

If the future becomes more "mirrorless", just keep the form-factor of a DSLR. I don't want a point & shoot looking camera with interchangeable lenses...

1) Why did you respond to this thread again after 3 weeks out of nowhere?
2) I already mentioned several times the possibility of simply having a big empty case full of air, if you wanted to have the size of a DSLR anyway.
3) Most people want as small of a camera as possible, as long as it fits your hands. Meaning a full size DSLR case full of air would probably be a niche product. A collapsible hand grip that folds out to a comfortable size but then folds back down into almost nothing to fit in your pocket is the most sensible solution, rather than a big bullky box that can't be made small no matter what.

Still, I imagine there would be at the very least a 3rd part market for big bulky cases for those people who wanted them like you. I wouldn't worry too much. Sort of like you can go buy an underwater housing for almost any camera these days, I imagine at least some very popular camera models would have "large grip" housings you could buy to slip them into, etc.

2) I already mentioned several times the possibility of simply having a big empty case full of air, if you wanted to have the size of a DSLR anyway.
3) Most people want as small of a camera as possible, as long as it fits your hands. Meaning a full size DSLR case full of air would probably be a niche product. A collapsible hand grip that folds out to a comfortable size but then folds back down into almost nothing to fit in your pocket is the most sensible solution, rather than a big bullky box that can't be made small no matter what.

Still, I imagine there would be at the very least a 3rd part market for big bulky cases for those people who wanted them like you. I wouldn't worry too much. Sort of like you can go buy an underwater housing for almost any camera these days, I imagine at least some very popular camera models would have "large grip" housings you could buy to slip them into, etc.

To each his own! I am a grown man with large hands. I can't stand little cameras. That's just me. Hell, I have a grip on my D700 because I feel like it's small without it.
So that's me... I love the form factor of SLR's and DSLR's...

Your second body is an X-Pro1 :hail:
You lucky girl, its like saying my second car is a BMW.
My second camera is a Canon G15, as nice as it is its not at the same level as the X-Pro1.

Stop complaining, just sell one of your Rolex watches and buy an X-Pro1. And there will be enough left for a lot of spare batteries :)

Here's a new point of reference in this debate: Sony has announced the Alpha-7R (A7R), a mirrorless camera which uses a 36MP full-frame sensor (the same sensor used in the Nikon D800). It'll be available with Sony and Zeiss glass.

To each his own! I am a grown man with large hands. I can't stand little cameras. That's just me. Hell, I have a grip on my D700 because I feel like it's small without it.
So that's me... I love the form factor of SLR's and DSLR's...

Well if it makes you feel any better, it's not just you. I also have bear paws - in fact I find my current Nikon D5100 already too small in some regards, I certainly don't want anything smaller.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back