DSLR?

VintageSkies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been toying with a kodak easyshare digital camera for a few years.. I really like it. It takes great pictures.

But I want to get a DSLR. Just one to start.. i want a great/good dslr for 350 dollars or under.

links/suggestions?

used camera stores, ebay, craigslist, those are the places to look if you want a good one for that price. If you want a NEW camera, you probably ill have to spend twice that at least

the only kind of good/great SLR you are going to find for 350 or under is a used film SLR. you would be very lucky to find a DSLR that is good/great, and also in good/great condition for that price

You can get rebel XT's refurbished for 400 with no lens. You might look into a refurbished rebel and find it for that price.

$350 budget is going to be difficult; used or new. If you do find something that fits your budget, you might be a bit dissappointed.

My opinion is to go with a higher quality, more advanced P&S camera than your Kodak (I personally didn't like any of Kodak's cameras). Unlike the DSLR market, there are much more options in the P&S realm. I know this forum and others tend to look down on P&S but there are some out there that can approach the image quality of a low end DSLR (with less features). Many professionals have shot material with nothing but a P&S as well... I bet you'll be surprised.

The idea is to focus on image quality and features. Don't get hooked into the physical size of the P&S camera as often it sacrifices quality to obtain its small size. Do your research as there are a lot of crappy P&S cameras out there as well. Look into how well they handle noise at higher ISOs. Make sure it has the DSLR features you would like to use: aperture, shutter, and manual modes for example. I like to refer to www.dpreview.com for good reviews.

My personal choice within your budget:

Canon G5 or G6 used. 80% of the digital rebel's features which include:
* BIG ONE: RAW (as well has jpeg)
* Aperture, shutter, full manual
* ISO 50-400
* Canon's nice image processor
* Center weight, Evaluative, and SPOT metering (even the DSLR rebel doesn't have spot)
* Nice glass lens with F2.0-F3.0 max aperture.
* BIG ONE: Real hot shoe that is completely compatible with all of Canon's EX line of flashes. On-board flash anything produces less than appealing photos.

Ever since the G7 has been released G5's and G6's (more mp crammed in the sensor) are available real cheap.

I found one on the home shopping network for 275. I'm pretty sure it's a DSLR - it has apature settings.

Fuji s700.

No. It looks like one. It is not classified as a DSLR. Many PnS cameras have aperature and shutter settings.

Sorry, that's not a DSLR. Many non-DSLR cameras have aperture settings.

i want a great/good dslr for 350 dollars or under
I'd like a brand new 4x4 truck for under $1000...but that's not going to happen either. :lol:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean. If you really want a DSLR, then maybe you should save up for a little while longer, until you can afford one. As mentioned, used DSLRs start around $300-$400 but you may still need a lens and a memory card to get started.

Maybe you should consider if you really need/want a DSLR. There are many non-DSLR cameras that allow you to control the aperture and shutter speed. Sure, they are not as good an investment as a DSLR...but that doesn't mean you can't learn photography with them.

I found one on the home shopping network for 275. I'm pretty sure it's a DSLR - it has apature settings.

Fuji s700.

Do yourself a favor and don't watch home shopping network. Circuit city has them for $230. And they are cheaper elsewhere.

Also, don't take this wrong but if you are going to pursue photography, Google is you friend!!! Generally, if someone spends the time and effort to put it on a website and make it look really good, they have taken the time to research it and make sure it's right. (generally)

There are a lot of well meaning folks on these forums and quite a number who are truly experts. However, just because someone has taken 3 or 4 minutes to reply to a post doesn't mean they know what they are talking about so you should always check for yourself. Even when it's me. ;)

This leads us to Google. You need to research for yourself everything that you have questions about to have a basis for the advice you will receive here and elsewhere. Sometimes an answer will not make sense with out enough background information.

Asking what to call something is different because there are a lot of terms that you wouldn't otherwise know how to look up. :)

Good luck, (oh, one of those will do if that's all your budget will allow. If you can wait a while you can get a used Nikon D50 with a nice kit lens for around $500 that will run circles around any P&S. BTW the D50 has a spot meter and has a much hardier flash circuit!) (look it up. :))

mike

Also please understand that this wasn't a dig at anybody but only meant to help you out. me

The Fuji s700 is SLR-like, but I'm not sure if it's actually an SLR (i.e. whether it uses a single lens reflex mirror). Most of what we think of as SLR's offer the ability to interchange lenses - that's not something you can do with the s700. Also, the sensor size is smaller - which generally means that the pictures don't have the same quality (if I understand sensor sizes correctly).

B&H Photo's website (not an authority, I guess, but informative) classifies the s700 as an "SLR-style" "Point and Shoot." (And offers it for around $215 - although it's apparently now out of stock.) The link to their website should be near the top of this page.

A new one for 350 and under is gonna be hard..

Ive had a easyshare dx6490 for a few years, and last thursday bought a new in box nikon d50 with 18-55 lens for $480.00 off ebay.
It should be here today.. waiting..

There are used D50s on ebay that are going for $300ish..
from some seller called 2nd turn electronics.
But in the description most say small scratches scuffs ect.

now.. a scuff usually means it was dropped or smashed into something
and if i was getting a dslr i wouldn't want to take that chance.

so save up alil more
there are D50s with 2 lens, and a memory card ect kits on there starting at about $459 and up.

Most reactions

Back