Dual macro ring flash diffuser

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have bought some of these but they are annoying at close working distances.

I do have vellum, lego and can get milk bottles.
Can anyone suggest an easy diffuser to make.
However it MUST not get in the way at very close (4 cm) working distance because that is what my MPE65 is at when I am using it at 5x magnification.

Any ideas?

Have you got pics of your set up?

I will post it shortly.

Yeah, that's the set up I have. Mine is the Yongnuo YN 24EX with those diffuser covers. I have mine filled with blocks and pieces of sheet packing foam. Works a treat.

Yeah, that's the set up I have. Mine is the Yongnuo YN 24EX with those diffuser covers. I have mine filled with blocks and pieces of sheet packing foam. Works a treat.
What magnification do you use ? I find it a bit hit and miss, at lunch time I had to remove the diffusers to get enough light.

What magnification do you use ? I find it a bit hit and miss, at lunch time I had to remove the diffusers to get enough light.

I use the magnification through the range but probably mostly between 1-3 or 4. Higher mags just eat light and at 5x you really do need a strong source. I find it very much trial and error, constantly changing flash speed, shutter speed, aperture and ISO to suit. I don't however remove the diffusion.

Get a pair of Kaiser Bounce Shoes/Flash Shoes

ergo these KAISER Flash Angle Attachment (Bounce flash shoe) - fotoimpex.com analogue photography

And place them between the ring and the flash heads. This will raise the flash heads up and gives you more room to work with a diffuser. They also let you angle the head a bit more sharply which can help for 5:1 where a softbox or such on the flash head can get in the way or result in light angling out away from the subject a bit too much.

It'll do the same job.

I've used similar in the past. The only issue I found was when photographing bugs in bushes. Because they extend the heads slightly there was a corresponding restriction of movement. Not much but at such close working distances it can have an impact.

Dav - yep that's the same thing. They are sold all over, I just grabbed the first link that popped up to show as an example.

As Spaceface points out the more you attach the more you can end up hampered with bits getting in the way. I think its a trade off, if you want better light the setup gets bigger; esp for something like diffusion of light.

Most reactions

Back