footballfan993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylerwarnecke.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm sure many of you have heard of Boudoir photography, where women are photographed in lingerie, and posing in suggestive ways.

I recently stumbled upon dudeoir photography, which is the male equivalent of boudoir photography. I haven't done any photoshoots in either category, as of yet.

This is interesting to me, as I am a nude model for my university's art classes, and enjoy it very well.

But I am curious, is this something that you would do, either as a model or photographer? Have you done it, what are your thoughts on it?

As a model? Well, no since I'm not a dude ;) As a photographer? Also no, but mostly because I'm deeply uninterested in portraiture in general, and even moreso in boudoir (or its male equivalent.)

Though this is the first time I've come across the term 'dudeoir', the name may be new, but photography of the male-form certainly isn't.

If I could get modeling offers for this at my age, I'd be damned proud! ;-)

How about using the actual, well-known term, which is "beefcake"? Seriously...dudeoir is a silly term.

Beefcake has been around since before Playgirl hit the streets. Beefcake...as in the male equivalent of/opposite of cheesecake...it''s a well-known genre. You are interested in shooting beefcake. Dudeoir is in the same category as phat, dank, swag, etc,etc. It has not yet made it to any real dictionary that I know of, while dudeoir is a silly,silly term invented by people utterly ignorant of a well-known, well-understood genre of photography that goes back 50+ years in the modern era alone, and indeed, back to the early 1850's. Beefcake is different from male fitness photography, and different from male physique photography. I've not shot any beefcake, but have shot cheesecake.

noun, Informal.
photographs of nearly nude young men in magazines or the like, posedto display their muscular bodies. I have no problems with people who pose for it, shoot it, look at it, or buy it. But please, let's stop this silly "dudeoir" usage. There is already a 70-year-old name for this type of photography.

Origin of beefcake
origin: 1945-1950
beef + cake, modeled on cheesecake

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
Definition of BEEFCAKE
beefcake
noun beef·cake \ˈbēf-ˌkāk\
Simple Definition of beefcake
  • : men who are muscular and attractive
    : a muscular and attractive man
  • Full Definition of beefcake: a usually photographic display of muscular male physiques; also : a man of the type featured in such a display or such men in general — compare cheesecake

Last edited:
But "beefcake" doesn't refer to the same thing. This is not a situation of the same genre or behavior getting a new name; this is a new variation that is different enough that it warrants a new name. It's the same difference between "cheesecake" and "boudoir."

Beefcake = very macho, dudes half out of their firemen uniforms, or on the beach doing their Mr Universe poses.
Cheesecake = pin-up posters - women in various levels of undress in random settings

Boudoir/Dudeoir = men or women, regardless of fitness levels, in obviously sexual settings (bedrooms, couches...) and in various levels of undress.

Of course there's going to be some crossover, but I think the styles are different enough to get their own terms.

limr said:
But "beefcake" doesn't refer to the same thing. This is not a situation of the same genre or behavior getting a new name; this is a new variation that is different enough that it warrants a new name. It's the same difference between "cheesecake" and "boudoir."

Beefcake = very macho, dudes half out of their firemen uniforms, or on the beach doing their Mr Universe poses.
Cheesecake = pin-up posters - women in various levels of undress in random settings

Boudoir/Dudeoir = men or women, regardless of fitness levels, in obviously sexual settings (bedrooms, couches...) and in various levels of undress.

Of course there's going to be some crossover, but I think the styles are different enough to get their own terms.

Sorry, but no, it's the same thing, with a new name invented by 20-somethings that think they have "re-invented the wheel", so to speak. The sexy/sexual connotations of beefcake have always been there. Gay men and straight women both bought Playgirl. The idea that beefcake was about firemen costumes and such is something you're projecting onto it. Beefcake is erotica for those who find the male form...erotic. Calling it "dudeoir" is again, a reflection of the so-called millenial generation's idea of thinking that they've invented something that's been around since their grandparents were born.

I would never pose... Its bad enough i have mirrors in my home. Nor am I interested in beefsnake photography.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Personally I like using the term of 'Dudeoir'. I never even heard of the term beefcake/cheesecake being used in photography. when I here those words, cheesecake, I think of the yummy yummy dessert. and with beefcake, that just sounds gross. lol whatever you call it, dudeoir, beefcake, etc, it's what you interpret it to be. I'll keep calling it dudeoir.

limr said:

Sorry, but no, it's the same thing, with a new name invented by 20-somethings that think they have "re-invented the wheel", so to speak. The sexy/sexual connotations of beefcake have always been there. Gay men and straight women both bought Playgirl. The idea that beefcake was about firemen costumes and such is something you're projecting onto it. Beefcake is erotica for those who find the male form...erotic. Calling it "dudeoir" is again, a reflection of the so-called millenial generation's idea of thinking that they've invented something that's been around since their grandparents were born.

Sorry, I just can't agree. These pictures: beefcake - Google Search

just aren't the same as these: dudeoir - Google Search

And every generation creates their own jargon. This is nothing new. After all, we're no longer calling each other cats or daddy-o, or calling things groovy, or gagging ourselves with spoons. ;)

Well, a few things to keep in mind when photographing your beefcake images: using a slightly shorter lens, like a 35mm, 40mm,45mm or 50mm lens length, can exaggerate the size of a man's arms and chest when used at typical full-body to half-body distances. You can MAKE a man's arms appear larger and more-powerful, and make him appear substantially taller, by NOT using the 70-105mm lens lengths, and by dropping the camera height a little bit lower than normal. This also works on the female form as well.

I had occasion to photograph a rather average to shorter than average height, very good-looking man in his mid-20's this August, as well as his lovely pregnant girlfriend for a maternity/couples shoot. Indoors, the Nikon 45mm f/2.8 AI-P lens was the go-to lens for exaggerating her belly size, and also for making him look taller,and more-muscular in his arms.

The key is to not get too close...stay about 7 to 12 feet away from the subject, and pay HUGE attention to what the lens is actually doing as the camera is raised, or lowered, and moved even a foot or two farther or close toward or away from the subject.

We hear these ideas that XXmm or XXXmm is the best lens to use. In indoor, boudoir or living room distances, there is plenty of use for moderate-wide to semi-wide angle lenses--as long as you do not get too physically close to the subject. But in that 7- to 12-foot range, the lens length used can really be used to a huge degree to make the body's various parts look bigger, or more prominent, and stature and or leg/length really significantly altered from reality, or altered from what you would get by shooting from farther back with a telephoto lens. This is really critical, and you will not hear much about this from YouTube-era shooters or people who do not fundamentally understand perspective and apparent perspective distortion as properly defined.

Sue Bryce, well-known ladies' glamour shooter? Her favorite lens? Canon 35mm f/1.4 L prime, for close-in work to accentuate the body's shapes and size of various parts: hips, waist, leg length, chest areas, etc.

If the camera is placed closer than about 7 feet, then the nose and chin start to become oddly larger than is typically optimal. The closer the camera, the more you can work with apparent perspective distortion, to make things closer look larger. On reclining poses,. the legs will look longer if they are projected toward the camera. If the chest is leaned forward, in front of the belt-buckle area, the chest region will look bigger. Lowering the camera even 3 to 5 inches can add a HUGE amount of apparent height when working with a shorter lens in the 7-12 foot distance range, with ANY camera format.

Last edited:
If someone takes a pic of me they need to use an inverted fisheye lens

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="jcdeboever]If someone takes a pic of me they need to use an inverted fisheye lens

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

And every generation creates their own jargon. This is nothing new. After all, we're no longer calling each other cats or daddy-o, or calling things groovy, or gagging ourselves with spoons. ;)
Is Cat and Daddy-O not "in" anymore?
Dang. I didn't the memo.
Groovy will always be cool, and out of sight.
No gag reflex here so spoons and endotrachael tubes are a non issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back