dumb question about softboxes for continuous vs strobe.

slow231

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You should be able to fashion a DIY connection system between the speed ring and the light unit...maybe some small bolts, some washers, four nuts, and a drill for a start. My feeling though is that perhaps another brand of speed ring would offer "more metal" with which to work; the Alien Bee attachment system is rather skimpy compared to say the Bowens "lug" system. Regardless though of what brand of speed ring you get with this box, you ought to be able to Rube Goldberg a reliable lash-up after spending a half hour at Home Depot.

You should be able to fashion a DIY connection system between the speed ring and the light unit...maybe some small bolts, some washers, four nuts, and a drill for a start. My feeling though is that perhaps another brand of speed ring would offer "more metal" with which to work; the Alien Bee attachment system is rather skimpy compared to say the Bowens "lug" system. Regardless though of what brand of speed ring you get with this box, you ought to be able to Rube Goldberg a reliable lash-up after spending a half hour at Home Depot.
awesome info thanks derrel. i picked out the AB one since it was the cheapest i found so far. I agree, i'm not too worried about being able to fab up something to mate the two together. i was just wondering if there were any fundamental differences in the softboxes made for continuous vs. strobes (aside from just the light mount). i wouldn't think so but i figured i'd ask all the lighting experts in case i was overlooking something.

Just make sure you're using CFLs or LED type lighting, you might have a fire hazard with halogen bulbs due to the heat they produce.

Most reactions

Back