Dumb question of the day: Cropped Viewfinder?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On DX cameras, does the view finder crop the image so you know what your final image will look like cropped?

I've never looked through the viewfinder, taken a photo and then noticed that the image was cropped from what I saw through the viewfinder. This makes me wonder if the viewfinder somehow crops the image too.

Sounds like a dumb question, but I just don't know the answer. I'm doubt the answer is yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :mrgreen:

Flame away...

What you see is basically what you get.... cropped or full frame.

Most DX viewfinders actually crop more than what the sensor sees. Usually around 95% or so.

On most decent cropped sensor DSLR's the viewfinder will show 'nearly' the same image in terms of field of view size as what the sensor will record. I say nearly because a few will show slightly less.

Nikon has a specification titled, "Viewfinder Frame Coverage". Some cameras are 100%, so it's literally a WYSIWYG in the VF.

For the D4, its:

• Viewfinder Frame Coverage
    FX (36x24): 100% Horizontal and 100% Vertical Approx.
    1.2x (30x20): 97% Horizontal and 97% Vertical Approx.
    DX (24x16): 97% Horizontal and 97% Vertical Approx.
    5:4 (30x24): 97% horizontal and 100% vertical Approx.

For the D3100:
Viewfinder Frame Coverage
95% Horizontal
95% Vertical Approx.

"Viewfinder coverage" is usually listed on the camera specifications. You can look it up on a site like dpreview.com if you can't find the information elsewhere.

Nikon has a specification titled, "Viewfinder Frame Coverage". Some cameras are 100%, so it's literally a WYSIWYG in the VF.

For the D4, its:

• Viewfinder Frame Coverage
    FX (36x24): 100% Horizontal and 100% Vertical Approx.
    1.2x (30x20): 97% Horizontal and 97% Vertical Approx.
    DX (24x16): 97% Horizontal and 97% Vertical Approx.
    5:4 (30x24): 97% horizontal and 100% vertical Approx.

For the D3100:
Viewfinder Frame Coverage
95% Horizontal
95% Vertical Approx.

Nice post, Sparkomatic! Thanks.

The D7000 has a 100% viewfinder, even though it's cropped. I figured you might be interested in that tidbit since you have another thread where you stated that you're interested in upgrading.

Note to that there is usually a magnification factor too. A D7000 has an approximate 0.94 magnification factor according to the D7000 specs.

The D3100 has a 0.80 magnification factor.

What about multi-format cameras?

Nikon cameras that can shoot FX or DX. Does the viewfinder change when you switch it?

I only have one multi-format camera, and it's a medium format film camera, and the viewfinder does change when you change formats.

Most reactions

Back