dundalk maryland....

holga girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
took a little boat ride this morning. here are some photos of dundalk md, ft. carol and the old steel mill.....

for some reason it seems that photobucket flattens the images out a bit, but otherwise i would love some cc...
BAY-1.jpg

BAY-10.jpg

BAY-11.jpg

BAY-2.jpg

BAY-3.jpg

BAY-4.jpg

BAY-5.jpg

BAY-6.jpg

BAY-7-2.jpg

BAY-7.jpg

BAY-8.jpg

BAY-9.jpg

Last edited:
#7 jumps out at me...the sight of the wildlife perched on the edge of an industrialized area (complete with smoke pouring out of the smokestacks) evokes an emotional response. Looks like it could be an ad for a 'save our wildlife/habitat' kind of thing.

thanks. this is much of how baltimore is. incredible natural beauty combined with hard core industry. sadly, both baltimore's nature and industry are under threat. the water is no longer blue, nor brown, but a rusty red color. ewe. i still see people crabbing and fishing there. i can't believe they eat stuff out of the water.

now, the steel mill, where my father worked for over 30 years, that was where baltimore's blue collar workers worked, is run down and laying people off left and right. he showed me the pier where he used to sit and eat lunch... it over looks ft. carol. you can't even walk to the end of the pier anymore.

it is sad, it is a completely different bay/industrial area than it was 20 years ago. the city scape is lined with best buy and starbucks.

it is nice to be back out there though. it is tough taking pics on a moving boat at sunrise... but it is nice to have those peaceful mornings on the bay again.

Its funny Dundalk in Maryland is on a river, just like the original Dundalk here in Ireland...

it is actually on a bay... but the town is named for the Dundalk in Ireland. It is also 'ship' themed. In old dundalk, many of the streets are ship-named, midship, township, broadship etc.

Note that given the time that it takes to provide good critique, you'll get the best results with five or less images. That aside, C&C per req:

1. I like the image, especially the reflections. I would suggest that it could stand to be levelled in addition to either a brightening or cropping of the darkest area image left.

2. Nice, however does need to be levelled.

3. I like the composition of this; again a very dark area image left which is somewhat distracting. The use of a grad-nd filter to enhance the sky would have helped as well.

4. Very nice conversion, but the subject matter is less than exciting.

5. Very nice, well composed, but needs exposure correcting; the image itself is 1/3 - 1/2 underexposed and the bird over exposed (at least 2/3 stop over on the white plumae) and the vignette doesn't IMO enhance the image.

6. I like this, not sure if the angle works for me, but it's a nice image, with excellent potential for B&W conversion.

7. The best of the group IMO, very well done. Again, not fond of the vignette, and suggest cropping some of the foreshore image left off, but other than that, very good, almost Dickensian.

8. Nicely done, could stand to see the concrete brightened by 1/2 stop. Again a G-ND would have helped with sky and evening out exposure.

9, 11. Interesting, not my taste, but well done, though I think perhaps a tighter crop on the bird(s)?

10. Good idea, but rather mudde, somewhat over-exposed, and too much empty space.

11. Nice; good work with the sky, some dodging on the darker concrete would help.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary

~John

tiredon, thanks for all the suggestions. i may play around a little and post back.

j

Great shot seems a littl dark but nice work....I cant wait to see more series.

I think the vignetting is a little over used since you have it on all of your shots, but the shots themselves are really nice. #4 and #8 stand out to me. #8, I like how your eyes lead out to the brightest part of the picture (the sunset).

Most reactions

Back