Duotone critque please...

Mindii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As I rule I almost never do mono or duotones, but for this shot I thought I would give it a go. Now I'm just not sure if it is working for me and I would appreciate any tips, pointers or critique you care to throw my way.
I'm a big girl and can take it so don't worry about my feelings honesty is what I am after here.
Thanks!...in advance. :wink:

IMG_0175altereddutone.jpg

i really like it. i think you've done a very good job on the conversion. The seagull is a really nice touch and it balances things out well

the only suggestions or comments i can make are that there is a slight halo of light around the seagull and a little tiny bit of halo at the base of the boat on then left, where it meets the water. i would consider maybe a little bit of dodging and burning on the boat itself to really get the most out of those great rusty textures

i really like the shot..... the composition is great...... like john, i would probably tweek the dodge/burn areas a bit..... but other than that, i dig it :thumbup:

Thanks Guys, please excuse my 'newbyness' but I haven't really as yet mastered the dodge and burn tools. Has anyone got any pointers on how to bring out some more detail in the boat, or is just a case of trial and error? (cause I seem to be having more luck on the error side...;)).
I was unsure about converting the shot, as I hardly ever do anything in Mono - just one of thse things that I havent really gotten around to - I tend to like a lot of colour in my pics; but have always envied those who are able to make a mono as interesting as colour image.

Mindii said:
Thanks Guys, please excuse my 'newbyness' but I haven't really as yet mastered the dodge and burn tools. Has anyone got any pointers on how to bring out some more detail in the boat, or is just a case of trial and error? (cause I seem to be having more luck on the error side...;)).
I was unsure about converting the shot, as I hardly ever do anything in Mono - just one of thse things that I havent really gotten around to - I tend to like a lot of colour in my pics; but have always envied those who are able to make a mono as interesting as colour image.

the key to using the dodge and burning tools (presuming you're working in PS) is to put the exposure really low (like 5%) and keep working an area till it's just right. with Dodge tool i tend to set it to highlight or sometimes midtones but mostly highlight. And set the burn tool to shadows

Wow! Thanks for the extra quick replies guys! And Marc knock youself out with your editing, I'd love to see it!

I'll change the settings on my dodge tool thanks for the tips John!

I'm thinking that maybe I have the halo around the seagull because I did a lousy job of dropping it in there...there was a seagull there originally but it was too small to be effective so I added this one from another shot.

Edited to say, I have all my in camera adjustments turned off, and yes I am PhotoshopCS2.

out of interest what method did you use to make the conversion to mono?

shadow/highlight adjustment is also prone to halo effects. did you use that at all?

JohnMF said:
out of interest what method did you use to make the conversion to mono?

shadow/highlight adjustment is also prone to halo effects. did you use that at all?

Ah see here is where it gets tricky...lol Only because I'm hopeless at converting, I tried the channel mixer first but couldnt get it right no matter what I did, so I converted to grayscale and made it a duotone - with just a touch of deep blue so it looks more like a mono than a duo.
Ummm I may have used the shadow/highlight before I decided to convert - however I can't say for sure as I tried so many things.

Hm... When I make adjustments, it's affecting the toning, so I'll have to come back to this later. It's not just a quickie. But here's info on layer masks. I much prefer to use them combined with curves as opposed to dodging/burning, since you can so easily go back and make adjustments. And a dodge/burn is destructive editing and you can lose data. Basically everything I do now, from conversion to b&w on, is in layers over the original.

Thanks for the info Marc! I do use layer masks - usually - but was originally only playing around with this shot so I..erm...sort of didnt use layers.......oh the shame, the shame ;)

I will be sure to read - and use all the info you have given me the link for. And lol, I'll also be sure to do it the right way next time or I shall be the laughing stock of the forum in no time at all..:)

get rid of the blue if you ask me, its making your darks wshed out. Otherwise i reckon its awesome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back