Durable umbrellas or other suggestions??

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've destroyed my two starter shoot through umbrellas. To be fair, they lasted over a year secured safely in my home studio.
I've evolved from "natural light" photographer (really, I didn't know what I was doing and I was intimidated by flashes/strobes, triggers, etc), to an on-camera fill flash photographer, and now, I am in LOVE with using OCF diffused with a shoot through for my outdoor sessions.
The problem is that when I have my OCF set up with the umbrella, any slight breeze will catch the umbrella and send my unit to the ground. This has damaged and broke my flimsy little starter umbrellas.
So now, I'm looking for 1) a more durable umbrella, or 2) another option/suggestion for me to try out.

Thanks!!

"Ballast". "Weighting" "Sandbags" "Ankle weights". "Shot bags" "Voice-activated lightstands". "C-stands" "Avenger stands".

Tripods with umbrellas fall because of the wind, it happens. One year is a reasonable life for an umbrella if you use to work outdoor.

There are sandbags , but I highly recommend to bring an assistant.

Durability is often a function of cost, since more durable materials usually cost more and assembling the more durable materials to take full advantage of the durability requires more labor.

No doubt adding weight to a stands legs will help when there is a bit of wind. Cheap umbrella/light stands may then fail from the increased load the wind adds to the weighted stand.

There is a type of light modifier that is a cross between a softbox and an umbrella, known as a brolly or brolly box - like Photek's softlight II - Amazon.com: softlighter ii

Other brands worth looking at are Westcott - Home and Chimera Products.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have weighted bags, that sucks because I become weighted down as well and when I'm outside shooting, I'm usually hiking. lol so that sucks.

An assistant is ideal, but, not always possible. I have a handful of people that I have on hand to help me with shoots, but they are not always available. :/

Cost isn't really an issue here. I will gladly pay more for a better product. :)

I will be looking into the brolly box. As I was doing my own searched for "durable photo umbrellas (and other similar words)" brolly box came up, but I'd never looked into it.

I have weighted bags, that sucks because I become weighted down as well and when I'm outside shooting, I'm usually hiking. lol so that sucks.

An assistant is ideal, but, not always possible. I have a handful of people that I have on hand to help me with shoots, but they are not always available. :/

Cost isn't really an issue here. I will gladly pay more for a better product. :)

I will be looking into the brolly box. As I was doing my own searched for "durable photo umbrellas (and other similar words)" brolly box came up, but I'd never looked into it.
Even brollys blow over.

If sandbag weight is a problem, there's always tent stakes and clothesline for a much lighter and therefor more hike-friendly solution. If water will be readily available, empty milk jugs work, since they can be filled on location then dumped again when done shooting. If sand, rocks or even dirt is readily available, empty sandbags can be carried easily, then filled and dumped again on location.

Even brollys blow over.

If sandbag weight is a problem, there's always tent stakes and clothesline for a much lighter and therefor more hike-friendly solution. If water will be readily available, empty milk jugs work, since they can be filled on location then dumped again when done shooting. If sand, rocks or even dirt is readily available, empty sandbags can be carried easily, then filled and dumped again on location.

What a great (and now obvious) solution to my problem!!! Thank you!!

Even brollys blow over.

What a great (and now obvious) solution to my problem!!! Thank you!!
Always glad to help if I can. :thumbup::D

Most reactions

Back