Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Visited my village a while back, didn't find the time to post these as the schedule was a bit packed (these weren't that good anyway :p). I wanted to do a panaroma all around my house, really missed a tripod that day, I bet the greenery would have been fascinating to you folks! Anyways, there's always a next time. :)
BTW between the last two, which one would be preffered? Colour or Black and white?

Durga Puja: It was the festive occassion of Durga Puja, where we worship the goddess Durga who killed the demon Mahisasur (buffalo-demon); he could change his form between a demon and a buffalo (I find them cure really, not demonic at all! :lol: ). Mahisasur(green one) had been blessed by one of the senior gods (Brahma) that no man can kill him, and hence the incarnation of a lady warrior goddess.. She has 10 different weapons in her 10 hands and her ride is a Lion (how cool is that? :cool-98: ).. Pretty good story, huh? :smile:
This is just a very small pandal, I'll do a good one next year. Preparations to make these grand pandals are made weeks ahead of the festival:

15403056882_634b710d49_c.jpg

Every year we celebrate the death of this demon in a gala ceremony lasting almost 10 days, and then the statues/idols are cast away in a nearby lake or pond. Most of the ornaments the godess is wearing is pure gold, and is sold at a premium afterwards! It's as big as the Christmas for us, it's a shame I didn't stay in Kolkata or I'd have got some real interesting shots.
The Goddess herself:
15380427376_5b9ff6e4a7_b.jpg

Nothing special, I was trying to make the composition work.. A fisherman and a cow enjoying the views while doing what they do!
15216919387_7bc1d6fc01_c.jpg

And finally this one I took just on my way to the railway station, the colours are a little strange IMO, I spent a while in LR trying to fix it. What do you guys think?
15400235751_2c54023956_b.jpg

15403396745_1a73349be4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and I finally purchased the elusive 70-300 VR I was chasing after for so long.. Absolutely sratchless condition, as good as new for about 315$ pretty good savings I think! :biggrin-93:

Thank you for this!

So you're saying that real gold ends up in the lake? Does anybody go "fishing" there right afterward?

In the last shot, I prefer the color version, but you're right about it being not quite accurate.

Congratulations on the excellent lens purchase!

I really like the last one but in BW. I do really dislike the black clipping on it as I think it loses way too much detail.

I edited this slightly.
bikefield.jpg

Thank you for this!
So you're saying that real gold ends up in the lake? Does anybody go "fishing" there right afterward?
In the last shot, I prefer the color version, but you're right about it being not quite accurate.

Thanks Designer. :)

lol.. no not really, they take off the real ornaments before the "visarjan".. but there are a lot of kids (at list in the villages) who wait for the loot. As soon as the ceremony is complete, they'll jump in and salvage as much as they can starting from the fake ornaments, clothes, hair, even the washed away wooden structure of the goddess is up for grabs. These are then resold to the kumartuli (where these are made) artists and the cycle continues.. :)

Congratulations on the excellent lens purchase!

Thanks! Can't wait to try out my new toy at the zoo this weekend :biggrin-93:.
I really like the last one but in BW. I do really dislike the black clipping on it as I think it loses way too much detail.

I edited this slightly.
View attachment 86721

Thanks Runnah :) my initial result was actually something similar, but the lack of contrast really gets the better of me more than most people.. I guess I went a bit overboard with the slider :lol:

hi Raj!

I like runnah's edit better, but I think it's the best if you edit it again

glad you're back :) I like reading your stories

hi Raj!

I like runnah's edit better, but I think it's the best if you edit it again

glad you're back :) I like reading your stories
:) Thanks Maria.. Wasn't really away, my ISPs are the real culprits here.. they're still in the Puja mood, and just refuse to install a new connection. Hopefuly it'll be done by tomorrow.. *sigh*
BTW I also think Runnahs edit is better, just that I got carried away from his version to mine :lol:

I love your shots and your stories Raj. Thank you so much for bringing a little bit of India to us.

I prefer the black and white version. Congrats on the new lens!

Most reactions

Back