Dust?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a new lens recently and just yesterday I noticed that there's a dust spot or something on the rear element. I didn't notice it when I unboxed it but can't swear it wasn't there. I tried cleaning it but it's definitely something on the inside. Nothing that affects the image in any way, I only noticed it because I was changing the lens and always give a quick swipe with a lens cloth before putting it on. So...being that I'm still within the return policy should I take it back and insist on a new copy? I bought it online at Best Buy during a sale. I really like the lens and will not be selling it anytime soon. Is this insignificant and who cares?

Hmm im not sure I really have any good advise for you. I'm ultra OCD and dust inside the lens really bothers me if I know its there even if I never noticed it to affect the image quality. I have one lens I bought from B&H for $1800 and immediately noticed what looks like a 1/4" long thread of lint. I thought surely that would affect picture quality so I intentionally tried shooting something that would make it show and I never could. I personally have had some bad experiences returning things to B&H and I decided to just live with it and avoid the hassle. To this day its still there and its never made one bit of difference in any shot.

So I guess the point in my rambling is if it really bothers you and it dosnt put you out too much to return it then do it otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Most older lenses have some dust, but a new one shouldn't have any.

Was this lens presented as "new", or was it something like "open box" or "demo"? If they sold it as "new", then you should expect a new one.

You could try to see of it shows up in a photo. Set the focus to "infinity" and shoot a blank white wall or overcast sky. Enlarge the image and scroll over it scrupulously. If you can't see a blurry area, then it is not affecting your images.

It was new. I’m going to return it and see if they’ll exchange it for another. I’ll definitely be inspecting any future purchases much more closely.

@SquarePeg I'm going through a similar issue with a lens I just bought. I'm testing other lenses today to be sure it is the lens an not the camera. I have a circular spot that appears in the same place. How did you determine it was on the rear element ? Unless I have the lens mounted it's stopped all the way down so I can't see a much on the rear.

Footnote: I just did a dust check on my sensor :aiwebs_016: Out of sight out of mind, apparently doesn't work well with housekeeping. :cupcake: Ran the dust removal option problem solved on mine. Guess this will now become a regular check procedure for me.

Last edited:
I can see it. I’ll try to take a photo of it and post it here.

It should be perfect in my opinion, especially if it's a Fujifilm lens, they have strict quality control, and if it's internal, they will get it back. In theory, that should help us in the long run. Did it appear opened at all? I carefully inspect the boxes prior to opening them, which usually will give a clue. I recently ordered my 80mm from a local brick and mortar. The guy started to open the box and I said, "whoa, wait a second there bullets". He gave me a strange look, and I explained my reasoning. The owner walked up and agreed with me about him opening the box. Granted, the guy is my friend so not a big deal, we got a good laugh out of it. He was just curious as to it's appearance since they do not stock any Fujifilm camera gear. I opened it and then let him fondle it after I did.

It was new. I’m going to return it and see if they’ll exchange it for another. I’ll definitely be inspecting any future purchases much more closely.
I would buy an older lens with dust if it did not affect image quality (over the years time, dust WILL creep in to most any lens), but if something is in a brand-new lens, it would worry me that it is not sealed as well as it should be.

When I was first learning photography, I used a Mamiya Sekor which belonged to my Uncle and shared with my cousin. One day while playing with the lens my cousin noticed an ant crawling along the inside.

I would buy an older lens with dust if it did not affect image quality (over the years time, dust WILL creep in to most any lens), but if something is in a brand-new lens, it would worry me that it is not sealed as well as it should be.
The Op doesn't say what the lens is but the lens is unlikely to be sealed. A zoom lens will not zoom if sealed.

It's a 35mm f2 WR (Weather Resistant) from Fuji. Not a zoom.

Most reactions

Back