Dusting off the Darkroom Cobwebs

PlanetStarbucks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone. I figured I'd put a post up with a little hello and chatter a bit. I've been away from photography for years at this point and recently decided to get back into it. There was a time when I would eat sleep live and breathe black and white photography. Whenever you saw me, you'd see my camera too.

I fooled around in high school and college darkrooms for years. Once I graduated though, I didn't think I had the time for it anymore. I was buried in the trappings of career. For as much as I love the work I do, I just realized that stock trading has no creative outlet. I needed something that would get me away from screens with endless bar charts and moving averages and chaikin money flows. And then I remembered how much I loved this art.

So I went looking for a place. I knew it had to have two things: an epic kitchen and a bathroom big enough to double as a darkroom. I found it. Then I started scouring for an enlarger knowing that this was the biggest step forward. I found a guy on Craigslist who was selling his old Beseler 23CII. It had been sitting in a storage shed for 20 years, but was in perfect condition and was complete. It had the lens, the carrier...even the lamp still worked. All it needed was a cleaning. I feel kinda bad for how cheap I ended up getting it, particularly considering the condition. This morning I got the timer off ebay, and I have the chemicals and other equipment in the mail to me as I write this. Now I just have to find a way to lightproof the bathroom.

It's hard to describe how excited I am to be back. I figured it would be good to have a place to tap into the intellectual resources I need get my art back, and that's what brought me here. Love the site already...and I'm really looking forward to throwing down some pics in the contests.

Hello PlanetStarbucks, new to the photography scene here and just wanted to say Glad to see your back. Anxious to see some of your work....KIT

Most reactions

New Topics

Back