DX Lenses on Film Camera

bikeracer4487

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm aware that there are other threads on other forums dealing with this issue but I haven't been able ot get a straight answer. My sister and I both enjoy photography a great deal and both own Nikon digital SLR's and Nikkor lenses. Between the two of us we have a D70s, a D40, and Nikkor 18-55 AF-S, 18-135 AF-S, 55-200 AF-S VR, and a 70-300 AF lens.

However, she's also looking to get into a little film photography and will be taking a course in college on this very subject, which is where my dilemma comes in. I have an OLD Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 70-210 and 28mm lens that I through I could sell on ebay and then buy a Nikon film camera that would work with all of our lenses...but then I remembered the DX format. Essentially my question is, would it be worth it? Obviously a 10.5mm fisheye is going to have terrible vignetting and I'm sure there would be vignetting with the lens wide open at 18mm, but I'm just wondering what the extent of it would be and if having a newer Nikon with more lenses and a little vignetting trumps an old Minolta with only a telephoto zoom and fixed wide angle with no vignetting. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The one lens missing from your lens lineup is the lens that you want for a intro photography course: a fast 50mm prime. Just get a manual prime and a classic Nikon body.

a dx lens will not cover a piece of 35mm film.

You can use an older lens on a digital camera if the mount is correct, and it will cover the sensor but not the other way around.

Most reactions

Back