dx To dx, the time in between

limeblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be purchasing an Full Frame Nikon in the near future, until then I will continue to use my d5200. I have the 18-55vr, the 55-200 vr and the 50mm 1.8g. I love that the 50 is FX and is suited so well to my dx. I am looking for another good piece of glass for the d5200 to hold over until the FX purchase. I have some clients lined up for family shoots, full family that is and was wondering if there is another fx treasure out there that I could purchase that would give me a jump in quality for the dx but is intended for the FX.

Last edited:
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART

I will be purchasing an Full Frame Nikon in the near future, until then I will continue to use my d5200. I have the 18-55vr, the 55-200 vr and the 50mm 1.8g. I love that the 50 is FX and is suited so well to my dx. I am looking for another good piece of glass for the d5200 to hold over until the FX purchase. I have some clients lined up for family shoots, full family that is and was wondering if there is another fx treasure out there that I could purchase that would give me a jump in quality for the dx but is intended for the FX.

I think this really depends on what you need.

It sounds like you are on a restricted budget. The 85mm 1.8G is something you should take a look at. When you switch to full frame, it will do what your 50mm does currently (only better). On full frame, the 50mm will become a wider lens.

As mentioned above, the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART is an excellent lens. However, given the limited prime lens focal lengths you currently have, I don't think an improved 50mm is necessarily what you need.

I find using the lenses that I have right now has at times been a challenge, but I have been able to work around any obstacles and have been having fun and turning out some nice images. I definitely would love to buy some better glass but being I will be going FF I don't want to have to try to sell lenses afterwards and would like to use any extra cash for FF gear. I will definitely keep my d5200 as there is a place for it, just no more lenses right now. I do have 3 children so buying new equipment comes after whatever is needed. Things are starting to turn so that I am making some money which is great, but it is a slow and cautious path. I really love the lengths of the 18-55 and would like something like that in a FF lens, it is perfect for so many situations. Thanks for the help, really enjoy the feedback.

I find using the lenses that I have right now has at times been a challenge, but I have been able to work around any obstacles and have been having fun and turning out some nice images. I definitely would love to buy some better glass but being I will be going FF I don't want to have to try to sell lenses afterwards and would like to use any extra cash for FF gear. I will definitely keep my d5200 as there is a place for it, just no more lenses right now. I do have 3 children so buying new equipment comes after whatever is needed. Things are starting to turn so that I am making some money which is great, but it is a slow and cautious path. I really love the lengths of the 18-55 and would like something like that in a FF lens, it is perfect for so many situations. Thanks for the help, really enjoy the feedback.

Whatever you buy, make sure its FX compatible. Get a 24-70 2.8--that's a wonderful lens for FX, and would be pretty useful on DX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back