DX vs FX lenses?

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a FX camera a few days ago. I haven't had any time to use it yet though...

My question is, what is the difference in a DX and a FX lens? I thought the main difference in DX and FX was the size of the sensor.... Will all DX lenses work on my FX camera? Camera is D800. My DX cameras are D3100 and D7000.

Thanks

I don't know all of the technical stuff, but I do know that FX lenses are much higher quality lenses and produce some GORGEOUS colors and sharpness. Some DX lenses are sharp and nice, but FX lenses are as expensive as they are, for a reason. DX lenses will not be worth JACK on your d800, period, while your FX lenses will work on your DX bodies just fine. I wouldn't spend another dime on DX lenses, if I were you, unless it's a lens for fun and priced right.

DX lenses will cover the D800's "DX crop mode" 100%, so you will be able to use them, and make 15.4 megapixel captures at juuuuust under 5 frames per second. According to imaging resources tests, the D800 will average about 42 frames in 14-bit RAW mode in DX crop in lossless compressed mode. In JPEG mode, it will shoot 100 frames at Optimal Quality compression. (more info here: Nikon D800 Review - Performance)

"Some" DX lenses can cover "almost" the whole FX frame through certain parts (the longer focal lengths on zooms) of their range; some of the DX primes can cover "almost" the whole 24x36 or FX image area, and can fill the 5:4 or "8x10" aspect ratio crop mode the D3- and D4- series cameras offer, in addition to their DX crop mode. Some of the DX Nikkor lenses are first-rate,professional grade lenses; the low-priced DX zooms are not really what would be called "pro-grade", but are consumer grade lenses.

Thanks for the info. So it is a requirement that I use my DX lenses in the DX mode with the D800? What happens if I use the DX lenses in FX mode? Could I damage anything? Will the photos be horribly distorted or something? Again, I am at work now and have had practically no time to study the manual or play with the new camera.

Oh, so far my only FX lenses are the 105 Macro f2.8, and the 24-70 f2.8....

Thanks for the help.

Not going to damage anything it will just have a vignette (dark corners) really bad.

DX mode simply saves you the hassle (and memory card space, etc.) of cropping out the black useless corners yourself.

In general, the difference in the lenses is simply the size of the image circle they cast. DX produce smaller image circles than FX, which will fail to cover the full FX sensor size by varying amounts. Thus, by using DX lenses, you are wasting half your pixels you paid for. So you want to minimize the amount of time you use a DX on an FX body. It's fine if that's all you have for that job / as a stop gap, but if you're doing it all the time, then why buy the full frame body in the first place if you aren't using it to it's full advantage?

The reason DX lenses exist at all is that smaller image circles require less physical glass. Less glass costs less money, so these lenses can be manufactured and marketed more economically, while having the same apertures and focal lengths, etc.

They also tend to have lower build quality and luxury features than FX lenses. There is no physical reason why this needs to be the case, and there are exceptions. It's just that since the main point of DX is to be economical, the people who buy them are going to be generally interested in other aspects of the lens being economical as well, so it makes sense.

DX mode simply saves you the hassle (and memory card space, etc.) of cropping out the black useless corners yourself......

DX lenses do not all project the same the same size image disc. Some manage to cover an FX sensor just fine. So one may be losing FOV when using DX mode as a default, which can make a big difference when using wide and ultra-wide glass.

Fx results in a wider shot at the same focal length, making it possible to get closer to the subject which will significantly narrow your dof. So if u like creamy blurry backgrounds you'll appreciate that advantage.

DX mode simply saves you the hassle (and memory card space, etc.) of cropping out the black useless corners yourself......

DX lenses do not all project the same the same size image disc. Some manage to cover an FX sensor just fine. So one may be losing FOV when using DX mode as a default, which can make a big difference when using wide and ultra-wide glass.
Eh? Which lenses do that, and why wouldn't they just market them as FX lenses? I know they aren't all the same, but had never heard of any that cover 35mm entirely.

Suppose I was going to take a photo of a small object such as an insect. Would it be better to use my 105mm f2.8 Macro on my full frame or should I stick with my D7000 (or even the D3100) since they have the crop sensor and is magnified some?

Suppose I was going to take a photo of a small object such as an insect. Would it be better to use my 105mm f2.8 Macro on my full frame or should I stick with my D7000 (or even the D3100) since they have the crop sensor and is magnified some?

You have the lense and both bodies. Why are you asking? Why not just trying and letting us know about the difference?

Eh? Which lenses do that, and why wouldn't they just market them as FX lenses? I know they aren't all the same, but had never heard of any that cover 35mm entirely.

I've read the 35 does, as well as a couple of wide zooms at certain focal lengths.

Don't shoot your D800 in "DX Mode". First turn that feature off and try all your DX lenses on it at all focal lengths to see at which point the black corners start to appear. When I moved up from a D7000 to a D600, by default I had the DX mode turned on, which almost made me sell my favourite DX lens, the Nikkor 12-24 F/4 wide angle. As soon as I turned off the "DX Mode" I quickly realized that from the 17-24 focal length on that particular lens, I get photos with no black corners, which is perfect for my wide angle work for now. So I went to try my other lenses such as my DX 18-200, and no such luck, this particular lens is useless on an FX body as the black corners (heavy vignetting) is constant throughout all focal lengths. Bottom line, see how your particular lenses work with you camera first without using the crop mode and then form your own conclusions on what you find useable.

Yes some will and some won't - it depends on the f-stop at which the lens is used and the camera. See this advert as a 'for instance'.

NEW Tokina AT X 107 AF DX 10 17mm F 3 5 4 5 Lens NH Fisheye FOR Nikon 4961607634110 | eBay

I've read the 35 does, as well as a couple of wide zooms at certain focal lengths.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back