Dynamic range not determined by sensels?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
According to a site, the smaller the sensel, the less light it takes to saturate it, the lower its dynamic range. But it doesn't seem to apply to the DxOMark scores at all? Why is it so?

Given identical technologies, that's true. But technology is constantly improving, so new designs have higher density, higher dynamic range, and lower noise floor.

Actually to add even more complexity to the augment it depends on the specific implementation, not just improving technologies. The design of the photosite, readout system, amplification system, and analogue to digital converter all impact the dynamic range.

2 or 3 years ago when I shared similar thoughts to the ones stated in the Megapixel Myth article on this forum, everyone said it's madness. And I still believe it - two shots from sensors the same physical size but with different resolution should look pretty much the same in terms of noise when resized to the same resolution, granted of course they share the same or similar algorithms and all the technical stuff.

2 or 3 years ago when I shared similar thoughts to the ones stated in the Megapixel Myth article on this forum, everyone said it's madness. And I still believe it - two shots from sensors the same physical size but with different resolution should look pretty much the same in terms of noise when resized to the same resolution, granted of course they share the same or similar algorithms and all the technical stuff.

Back then I didn't know such thing, I didn't know combining data would produce less noise.

Most reactions

Back