E-500 or new E-510

AlexisRhea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alas, I am on a budget and the camera fairy just isn't dropping off a camera!

I am so very torn over this. The E-500 package I am looking at is $400 cheaper than the E-510 package. The only difference in packages is the camera body. The E-510 has cleaned up the noise at higher ISOs and added a live view finder (similar to the E-330). My main focus has been macro photos, but I am definitely going to be using this camera for all types of subjects and styles. Should I get the E-500 and look at buying glass or should I spend the extra now on the E-510 with the improvements Olympus has made??
Any insight is greatly appreciated!! :hail: I am so torn. I'd love to get the E-510 based on the great reviews I've read. This is also my first DSLR, but its going to have to last me for awhile and I don't want to end up frustrated if the E-500 has some issues.

If anyone is curious what packages/features, here are the links to the two:

E-500

E-510

Side-by-side comparison of E-500 & E-510

Thank you!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bump... anyone here have the new E-510?

I've got the E-500 and know a few other folks who have the E-500.

Most people I know have purchased the E-500 because of the compatibility / conversions for the old OM lenses (4/3 conversion ring to OM)

I got the e-500 because the price was right. Got it for about $599. I've been happy with the camera. The noise at higher iso's does suck, but really I can't find any problems with the camera except it has no remote shutter button. Have to use self timer. I don't mind noise at higher iso's because I try to keep the ISO low anyways. No need to shoot at 800 iso unless your doing sports or something.

I've learned about the e-510's release and have heard about the noise reduction and the more megapixels and the liveview. Before converting to the SLR world I would think you were crazy if your camera didn't support liveview Now days, why would you want liveview if you have an SLR? It's much easier to focus and compose looking through the viewer than to look at an LCD in the suns glare.

I wish somebody would to a e-500 vs e-510 article and actually compare the specs and share the real differences between the cameras. All I've noticed is:
* Liveview
* More megapixels (10 something vs 8)
* Better noise reduction.
* It seems they added a panorama mode. Requires Olympus brand XD card for this feature to work though. They say it wont work for CF (boo.) (I'll stick with my tripod and panning techniques.)
* Jpegs support Exif 2.2
* Seems they made the USB interface faster (hi speed) so it can transfer files quicker. (It's not so bad with the slower usb on the e500. I just got a card reader for my laptop.)

I can't really find any other major improvements than those above.

It's up to you if you think it's worth the price hike. The more megapixels is nice (better to crop with!) but besides that I don't see anything to make me upgrade. I'd seriously get the new camera body if it was worth it... but for those -- not for me.

The e-510 does have newer features vs it's older e-500, but for the price it's not worth upgrading camera bodies. For the price, it may not be worth buying if your getting in to the market. I'd certainly be happy with sticking with the e-500. I'm hoping the eventual e-520 or whatever comes next has the features that make the plunge worthwhile. Hopefully the 4/3 system will have gained more popularity by then too! I'd love more lens options! It's happening slowly... also Olympus is going to make a "big announcement" at the end of the year. I'm hoping this means 300 new lenses are going to be unveiled or something!

I agree with Jon here. I'm delighted with my E500 and not bothered about another couple of million pixels, object to paying for liveview which is a feature that wouldn't be used at all and would only consider the image stabilisation to be of benefit. Even that, though, is not something that I'd go out of my way to obtain as, being of the old school, the focal length reciprocal shutter speed equation is pretty much set in stone as far as I'm concerned.

The only adverse comment that I would have is that the WB (white balance) button is too easy to depress and hold when shooting and this results in no image being recorded. This only bothered me for the first couple of weeks and I put it down to finding my way round the new camera.

Otherwise the handling and feel are first class and, with stocks now running down and prices very low, the E500 is an excellent buy. I got mine with the 18-180 Zuiko lens in a kit and that is fine as a 'leave it on the camera' optic but I hear that the 14-45 and 40-150 kit lenses are pretty good too.

I agree with Jon here. I'm delighted with my E500 and not bothered about another couple of million pixels, object to paying for liveview which is a feature that wouldn't be used at all and would only consider the image stabilisation to be of benefit. Even that, though, is not something that I'd go out of my way to obtain as, being of the old school, the focal length reciprocal shutter speed equation is pretty much set in stone as far as I'm concerned.

The only adverse comment that I would have is that the WB (white balance) button is too easy to depress and hold when shooting and this results in no image being recorded. This only bothered me for the first couple of weeks and I put it down to finding my way round the new camera.

Otherwise the handling and feel are first class and, with stocks now running down and prices very low, the E500 is an excellent buy. I got mine with the 18-180 Zuiko lens in a kit and that is fine as a 'leave it on the camera' optic but I hear that the 14-45 and 40-150 kit lenses are pretty good too.

I reviewed the side-by-side comparison for the E-500 and E-500.

A correction to my post above, the e-500 supports EXIF 2.2 as well.

Here's the actual differences:
E-510
Max res: 3264 x 2448
Sensor type: CCD
Sensor made by: Kodak
Has image stabilization.

E-500
Max res: 648 x 2736
Sensor type: MOS
Sensor made by: Matsu****a
Has no image stabilization.

What's interesting is the e-510 can't output in TIFF. E-500 can.

The E-510 looks like a nice camera. But it's not much nicer than the E-500. I do not plan to upgrade to the E-510 because with my e-500 it has just about everything the newer one has. With so little extra to offer, I can get a new lens for $800!

However I am not you. You don't have the E-500 or E-510 and you have to decide which is more worth it.

The E-500 is $617
The E-510 is $799

The 510 is only about $180 bucks more. And if your a technophile like me, you want the latest and greatest. Having experience with the E-500 though, is the live view, image stabilization, and more mega pixels worth the extra $180? You could get a nice tripod for that extra $180 in hand. ;-) I doubt not having liveview and stuff makes the E-500 obsolete.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! :hail: :hail:
I guess I was torn because of the image stabilization, and the higher ISOs (no boost to get over 400). I have read that the noise is greatly reduced at higher ISOs with the e-510. I have to admit, for some of my shots, I have had to use my live view finder because I wasn't able to get close enough with my head "attached" to the camera! lol And some days I don't want my head that close to a bee! (for some reason I am obsessed with insect macros lately) I guess I like the idea of the most recent and improved, but if you both say you have no qualms with the E-500 and the E-510 doesn't appeal to you much, then I'll have to go with what your experience says vs the breakdown on the lits. :) Maybe one day down the road there will be a super awesome e-volt that I will want to trade up for.

Thanks again so much! I can read online reviews all day, but hearing from people in here with some experience really makes a difference.

As for any brand of SLR, if you have the money and can throw it arouns pretty well, buy the best, if the money is a factor, spend it on glass, not the body.

The E-510 surely has a few extra perks, better sensor and IS but not worth the 400+ price hike IMO compared to the two lens kit E-500 that can be had for around $600. I'm happy with mine and unless this one dies, or they produce a new one really worth the upgrade, I'm sticking with the E-500. Oh and please get the black one not the silver it looks so much nicer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back