E-commerce Fashion Website Assignment

jimntonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I am new to this website and looking for assistance with a particular project. My photography has been a hobby at best however people are now asking me to shoot for them. I haven't had much experience working in this industry and i wanted to challenge myself to a particular project before i go any further.

A friend is starting a clothing label and has asked to replicate a particular style of photo for the website products (dresses) I was wondering if anyone could assist me with the following questions:

- Lighting the subject
- Crop & Margins for consistency with each photo
- Would you use a tripod for consistency or shoot freehand?
- Touch ups recommended post processing e.g smoothing of the skin, particular settings to focus on

Any other recommendations you have to recreate a similar shot to the image provided would be greatly appreciated. As i mentioned earlier i'm new to this an open to any suggestions this community has.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very straight-forward work, but it does require some equipment for best results. Ideally, 5 lights (Inexpensive Yongnuo or equivalent speedlights will be fine if you're not shooting a lot; if you are, studio lights might worth the investment), light stands, umbrella brackets, triggers and white, shoot-through umbrellas. You will also need a roll of white seamless background paper and appropriate mannequins.

I would definitely shoot this from a tripod; in fact once you get the set-up down pat, I would diagram it all with measurements, angles and light outputs so you can recreate it any time. Get a clothing steamer and LOTS of small clips & clothes pins to take care of wrinkles and "tailor" the clothing to mannequin.

Set-up for this is fairly simple: Two lights at 45 degrees to light the background; the product 4-6' in front of the background and usually 2 lights on it as well. You may need a third for larger items. All you need to know about this can be found in the lighting bible. Buy and read this first.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good advice above. Colour accuracy is important to clothes sellers, so shoot a custom white balance once your lighting is set up and ideally use custom camera calibration.

You need to ensure your exposures are consistent and correct across all your images. I would set everything to manual and use a light meter. That will also allow you to meter various areas of the scene to check for consistency.

Make sure you use a good lens hood and protect the lens surface from stray light by shielding it from the flash light. The last thing you want is a bunch of images ruined by flare.

This is really just an exercise in good basic technique and obviously making sure that the clothes look good.

Thanks for all the information everyone, believe it or not it's extremely hard to find a particular tutorial demonstrating the above requirements. My apologies for posting the image i was unaware of the rules. I will post some of the results once the shoot is done!

The camera and lens combo ill be using is:

- Canon 600D
- Canon L f/4 16-35mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back