Eager Newb

InFocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, new to photography. This seems like a great community here, and i'm glad to be a part of it!

My interest in photography started 8 months ago when I got married. Meeting with our wedding photographer and seeing his work was amazing. Then going on our honeymoon, all we had was a point-and-shoot camera. We weren't too satisfied with the pictures we took, especially in the night time.

Soo, recently for my birthday, I bought myself a digital slr. I dont know anything about photography beyond the point-and-shoot. I have started to do a lot of reading, and my wedding photographer has given me tips...most of which goes over my head.

The best so far has been just taking the camera out and trying different things. I dont know technically what I am doing, but i've figured out that if i turn the dial one way, the shutter stays open longer, and if its too dark, I turn it one more tick, and the picture is a bit brighter.

The great thing about digital is that i can keep ticking until i get the picture the way i like it.

Anyway, its been a fun learning experience, and there is so much to learn. Slowly but surely. Here is a picture I took the other night. comments (good/bad) are welcome.

random026.jpg

It sounds like you have a really cool wedding photog to help so much!
Yes, this is a really great forum with lots of fun folks.
Congrats on the new camera. Looks like you are doing great! I really like the photo you posted. Actually, I think it's quite good. Long exposures aren't the easiest thing to do so crisply.
The 40D is a wonderful camera, and it looks like you have a lot of nice lenses already.
Good to see you here, and I look forward to more of your posts.
Hugs,
Cindy

The picture is overexposed. If you would reduce the exposure in your photo editing software and reduce the highlights a bit, I think you'll like it better. A lot of the detail in the overexposed areas is recoverable.

Thank you for the kind words elsaspet, and the tip patrick!

I am using the free program by google called picasa, until i can get my hands on a photoshop or some other photo editor.

I see that there is a slider for the highlights, but it is already at its minimum, i can not reduce it any further. maybe with a more professional program like photoshop i will be able to do it? I do have the photo in RAW format also, so i should be able to change many variables.

Thanks!!:thumbup:

If you need a "free" program that is great to use, google GIMP! Just an idea!

That is a pretty neat photo. I'm amazed how crisp the picture is with that long exposure. What were you using for a tripod? I know that wasn't a hand held picture :).

Also what lens did you use to take that photo?

I have a basic manfrotto tripod. I had the camera on two legs only leaning over my balcony.

The lens i used was the kit lens that came with the camera it was the Canon 17-85mm IS USM lens

I wish i had kept track of my settings more importantly. Early on i was just fiddling changing things, and i dont remember how the camera was set up. now i keep a log book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back