Earliest attempts at tone mapping

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When HDR and tone mapping became more and more "en vogue" also here on our forum, and people mentioned the free demo version of Photomatix and gave hints about how to go about creating an HDR-pic or tone-mapped-photo, also I felt like playing with the technique a little.

Now we get to see more and more and more either true HDR-photos, or tone-mapped images created from one RAW-file saved at three or five different exposures, to be merged and tone mapped. Which, so I learned right here on TPF, is not the REAL HDR-photography, since in order to get THE REAL HDR-picture, you need to take three or five photos at three or five different exposure times.

I did try also that, but the outcome could only be shown in the Snapshots and Bloopers (I would have liked to show you but obviously I have long taken the pics off the server, there are only red x's there - my tripod is such a flimsy affair that the camera moved only a fraction of a millimetre between exposures and in the end the merged photo would make you grope for your glasses! But seriously!).

Anyhow, here is one of my very first attempts at tone mapping from months ago, taking this_photo as the basis for my creation.

What do you say?

HDR_ScheeelerMhle.jpg

Is it even more expressive?
Does this technique have its merits or is it really to be taken as just one playful variation of a photo taken?

This is also to make known that from now on the Graphics Programmes and Photo Gallery is THE place to show any works that underwent some serious alteration to the original "SOOC*"-photo, as would be the case with HDR and tone mapping.

(*straight out of camera)

Right. Here we go.
LaFoto actively goes out bumping her own submissions.
Openly - and saying so.

errant star said all that needs to be said. Great job on this. The photo has so much more life but it isn't all that evident that it underwent the level of processing that it did. I like this photo very much.

Most reactions

Back