Early Winter in Glen Etive

Tim Tucker 2

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Loch Etive

_DSC4108-10_sRGB_sm.jpg

Hector, (as Sandra has christened him...)

_DSC4178_sRGB_sm.jpg

I was after the slightly *surreal* almost studio look here. He is quite real but the deer have their diets supplemented in the winter, probably because the forestry management (commercial logging) has so much of the lower valley fenced now. So they hang around the feeding spots on the road in the winter waiting to be fed. It feels quite unreal being able to get this close, hence the look.

Loch Etive

View attachment 166799

Hector, (as Sandra has christened him...)

View attachment 166800

I was after the slightly *surreal* almost studio look here. He is quite real but the deer have their diets supplemented in the winter, probably because the forestry management (commercial logging) has so much of the lower valley fenced now. So they hang around the feeding spots on the road in the winter waiting to be fed. It feels quite unreal being able to get this close, hence the look.
Beautiful shot. You have captured very brightly.

Lovely images. I really like the first one, although it is a bit hard to choose a favourite of the two.

WesternGuy

Very good shooting. You obviously know your way around a camera and lens.

Thanks for the comments.

You obviously know your way around a camera and lens.

I made a conscious decision when I was 18 not to chase gear. I bought a second hand F2 and a couple of decent lenses, (105/2.5, 50/1.4 and later a 35mm) which I used right up to 2010 when I went digital.

I turned my back on the concept that gear allows creative possibilities and instead embraced, "this is what you have, it's all you're getting, so let's see what you can do..."

I continued the same philosophy with a D600, the exact same 105/2.5, a 55/3.5 and a Milvus 35/2, no filters. Of course there are limits, but there are limits of what transfers and makes a good photograph, not everything does. Consequently I've spent most of time trying to understand the subject and the finished image rather than the gear which to me is just a means to an end.

I know my way around the base functionality of my cameras, I have largely ignored automation, (I don't need it for the things I photograph, the camera's almost locked in AP/manual ISO). I would have a steep learning curve if I had to produce pro quality sports coverage, (not to mention that I would also need at least one AF lens)... ;);););)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back