East Mill 1912

gsgary

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot on Kodalith Ortho (very high contrast copying film)
First mill was built in 1776

scan707-XL.jpg

Picture seems of normal contrast, so success here. I like to rise my lens up but I don't like floating buildings. IMHO some ground should be visible.

Lowering my lens would have included a drive in car wash about 10 people washing like crazy from car to car queueing out onto the road

The Fit Pit sign seems out of place. Either raise the lens to remove it, or lower the lens to bring in the new to contrast with the old. Right now it just looks like a mistake.

ETA: I do quite like the mass of clouds positioned just so against the mass of the building. Well done.

Lowering my lens would have included a drive in car wash about 10 people washing like crazy from car to car queueing out onto the road
We can't win, can we ?

Shoot it fast. I know it is fun, but is there a point in mastering a film with very limited supply ?

Shoot it fast. I know it is fun, but is there a point in mastering a film with very limited supply ?

Why not its nearly 30 years out of date I could save it and just shoot a few rolls every year
Oh boy, looks like time didn't do much to that emulsion.
My point is, this shooting of old films is fun, I am sure, it makes you jack of all trades but, don't get me wrong, master of none. Do you have a favorite film which you actually shoot fresh ? ;)

To be honest, I don't like much of what gsgary shows us here, but I will object to this line of questioning!

Using expired film just adds an element of randomness to the process. There's always a degree of serendipity in photography, and you can choose to either eliminate as much of it as possible, or you can choose to embrace some of it. Using expired film is merely embracing as element of that randomness.

but I will object to this line of questioning!
:shock:?1? What's wrong with such a question ?
Why not to embrace both worlds; have something you control, have something you control less. I am doing this, but lacking supply of outdated film I shoot primitive cameras exploring randomness of theirs plastic lenses. (Vive la Lomography !) I am also exploring random action of wild mixes of developing agents or modified commercial stuff on different emulsions and this is fun. But I have my combo I can be sure about if I need it. Just asking Gary what's his.

Why not its nearly 30 years out of date I could save it and just shoot a few rolls every year
Oh boy, looks like time didn't do much to that emulsion.
My point is, this shooting of old films is fun, I am sure, it makes you jack of all trades but, don't get me wrong, master of none. Do you have a favorite film which you actually shoot fresh ? ;)

HP5 in a bulk loader, really like Fomapan 400, FP4, Precisa slide

To be honest, I don't like much of what gsgary shows us here, but I will object to this line of questioning!

Using expired film just adds an element of randomness to the process. There's always a degree of serendipity in photography, and you can choose to either eliminate as much of it as possible, or you can choose to embrace some of it. Using expired film is merely embracing as element of that randomness.

A lot of what i shoot will never get shown on here, i don't mind the questioning i have very thick skin, it's like water off a ducks back. I shoot lots of old film because i get given it and i can't bare to throw it away plus its fun to see if it still works and can be developed

Most reactions

Back