East of Down Town (new project)

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Sometimes projects just come to you. I've been really struggling lately when finally I got "the itch" to go out shooting. I attached my 28mm lens for a change and went walked out to a gritty, industrial part of downtown Billings where I spotted the image "Accumulation" a few weeks ago. The lighting today was what I like, partially cloudy and moderately flat, and I had a few hours before my wife had to go to work and I had to watch the kid.

On my way back I noticed a rezoning notice in the park, I was nervous that they were going to redevelop part of North Park into housing. Fearing gentrification in the Northpark Neighborhood I carefully read the notice and found that they were redeveloping the very area which I was photographing.

I don't know what kind of timeframe i'm looking at, and we may be leaving before they even attract any new businesses to the area. But I look forward to documenting the changing character of this neighborhood and it's impact on the surrounding area, as it transforms from warehouses and machine shops to commercial businesses and apartment buildings.

"Accumulation"
7422401688_b2d32ab7e5_b.jpg

"Transit"
7422401326_9a670b4107_b.jpg

"Alignment"
7422402378_c68bdfc93e_b.jpg

"Storage"
7422403360_506d3b1cf6_b.jpg

"Skribble"
7422404188_f6f6d277f5_b.jpg

I really like the first image. It's a good example of how you can effectively ignore the RoT's, and how other elements of design take over to make it effective.
Nice find of pattern repeat, pattern break, and bonus of pattern juxtaposition.

I enjoy the last one as well. I like the "X" formed by the white blotch upper left to the white garbage lower right, then the big tree pointing down to the lil' tree, and the scribble is in da middle. I like the conduit echoing the stack.

The fourth one, I want to like. I like the feel of it, but I just can't get past th fence myself. It is effectively serving its purpose, keeping me out of your image. Ha!

Over all, this set as a whole has a nice low tone to it.

I kind of wanted all these to be in color. I want to avoid the stereotypical "gritty b/w urban photography" thing. I like the blue/yellow relationship. I'm not sure how it will fit in the project in the end, being that this is the very start. I like the image, maybe it'd work better b/w?

It was just a thought. In that image I am more drawn to all the lines and shapes, and thought a good conversion could really accent that.
Urban decay is tough to photograph and not be cliché, in my opinion. I wonder if selective bold saturation would do anything. Just thoughts. Ignore them. :)
Work your vision!

Here is a copy of the master plan for the neighborhood. It looks like they will be doing a lot of really cool stuff here. I don't normally like gentrification, but in this case I they seem to be doing a very responsible job.

http://www.bigskyeda-edc.org/pdf/edaw.pdf

Here is a copy of the master plan for the neighborhood. It looks like they will be doing a lot of really cool stuff here. I don't normally like gentrification, but in this case I they seem to be doing a very responsible job.

http://www.bigskyeda-edc.org/pdf/edaw.pdf

The master plan does look quite good, we have a few around here that were very similar in concept and are working very well now that they are complete. Heh, but, I always get a chuckle when I see developers use the word "Bioswale", which is the new cool word for plain-old ditches :)

Accumulation and Transit are both excellent, I really like your use of lines and different perspectives.

Bioswales are more like landscaped ditches, they are not only attractive but, if effective, help offset pollution from entering the water supply. The idea is that the landscaped plants are chosen to be tolerant of biological, organic and even inorganic pollution and take the burden off more sensitive ecosystems.

--

thanks for the comments!

Bioswales are more like landscaped ditches, they are not only attractive but, if effective, help offset pollution from entering the water supply. The idea is that the landscaped plants are chosen to be tolerant of biological, organic and even inorganic pollution and take the burden off more sensitive ecosystems.

--

thanks for the comments!

Oh, yes I know bioswales, I work in the business (environmental engineering). I do agree that they are quite effective, I just get a kick out of their new name :)

I meant to say before that I really like the concept of your new project - I'm looking forward to seeing more as you go!

If I ever can escape, I'll take more. But for now, it's diapers, appointments and lots and lots of chicken nuggets and peanut butter sandwiches.

Ah, life with a kid............I don't have any, but I've heard that once they get older it gets easier, or at least there's not so many diapers to deal with.

^^ seriously. he's taking over my life! I can't even do studio without him knocking stuff over.

Being a stay at home dad is kind of a bummer sometimes, I wouldn't want to do it for anyone except my little boy.

Most reactions

Back