East of the Grand Canyon

robertandrewphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
qGjT2HD.jpg

On a business trip out West, we decided to stop at the Grand Canyon and see the sights. After we left we decided to go off roading a bit and found this beautiful scene.

This image was made from 4 exposures (f/11 @ 1/160, 1/400, 1/640, 1/1600). They were first processed through the Camera Raw function in PS, then Photomatix, and back into PS.

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Something just looks very wrong. I think it's the sky.

The Barbarian

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I like the sky. I really like the detail of the stones in the road. I think it's something about the mountain, but not sure what it is. I think the image is successful, even if cooked a bit longer than I usually like.

Mikej15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its HDR, so the sky looks like it.
And I agree, a little bit heavy

JRE313

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
OP
robertandrewphoto

robertandrewphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
RxqwBwI.jpg

Here is one of the originial low exposures of the scene. As you can see, the sky in the finished product and in a single exposure are not too far apart. I adjusted the white balance and image profile in the camera RAW function in PS to produce the deep blue color.

The sky may seem a bit heavy, but that's because it just happened to be that day. If anyone is interested I can provide all 4 exposures for more examples.

nycphotography

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like the sky. I really like the detail of the stones in the road. I think it's something about the mountain, but not sure what it is. I think the image is successful, even if cooked a bit longer than I usually like.

I think the problem is that the mountain is lost in shadow, and in HDR it shouldn't be. I'd try bringing the mountain up a stop or to and see what you get.

OP
robertandrewphoto

robertandrewphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Here is a version with the mountain dodged and the trail burned. Not a very drastic change, but the mountain is about a 1/2 stop brighter.

88Owg2C.jpg

Most reactions