East of the Grand Canyon

robertandrewphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
qGjT2HD.jpg

On a business trip out West, we decided to stop at the Grand Canyon and see the sights. After we left we decided to go off roading a bit and found this beautiful scene.

This image was made from 4 exposures (f/11 @ 1/160, 1/400, 1/640, 1/1600). They were first processed through the Camera Raw function in PS, then Photomatix, and back into PS.

Something just looks very wrong. I think it's the sky.

I like the sky. I really like the detail of the stones in the road. I think it's something about the mountain, but not sure what it is. I think the image is successful, even if cooked a bit longer than I usually like.

Its HDR, so the sky looks like it.
And I agree, a little bit heavy

RxqwBwI.jpg

Here is one of the originial low exposures of the scene. As you can see, the sky in the finished product and in a single exposure are not too far apart. I adjusted the white balance and image profile in the camera RAW function in PS to produce the deep blue color.

The sky may seem a bit heavy, but that's because it just happened to be that day. If anyone is interested I can provide all 4 exposures for more examples.

I like the sky. I really like the detail of the stones in the road. I think it's something about the mountain, but not sure what it is. I think the image is successful, even if cooked a bit longer than I usually like.

I think the problem is that the mountain is lost in shadow, and in HDR it shouldn't be. I'd try bringing the mountain up a stop or to and see what you get.

Here is a version with the mountain dodged and the trail burned. Not a very drastic change, but the mountain is about a 1/2 stop brighter.

88Owg2C.jpg

Most reactions

Back