Easter Lily - Different Lighting

Mike Jordan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sitnprettyphoto.com
Here are some shots of a Easter Lily, taken with my playing around with the lighting to try and get something a bit different than straight, even lighting.

The first one had my 160 wastt second monolight with a snoot on it behind the Lily. My other lights were turned off. It does a good job of bringing out the veins of the pedals.

lily6218.jpg

This one has the same light behind the Lily but is a little bit stronger. This has also been changed to black and white.

lily6231bw.jpg

And this one is with a translucent Lite Disc between the Lily and the light.

lily6242bw.jpg

All 3 taken with my 10D and 24-70 2.8L, ISO 100 about f18 to f22.

Mike

These are lovely and make me wish I had the equipment to test out one or the other light source for --- whatever, but... other than the usual lamps in the house plus the on-camera flashes on both my cameras (no good! I try not to use them whenever I can!), there is nothing here.

Thanks Matt, LaFoto and Mentos. LaFoto, you don't need a lot of equipment. These were all done with one light. And though the one light I used was a monolight, a regular bulb, with a reflctor to help channel the light, could have been used. I have some others I took where I did use just the modeling light of my monolight. I didn't use the flash at all. So you don't need a lot of equipment or a lot of lights to do pictures like these. So don't let that stop you from trying... and don't worry if the first few times don't come out the way you expect. Mine didn't either but everytime I tried mine got better and hopefully will continue to get better as I take more.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Very nice stuff! It shows the delicateness of the petals. They look almost like silk. The first is simply stunning.

Most reactions

Back