Mark_McCall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markmccallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our Easter set from last spring.
I built the dock from barnwood I had lying around. The posts came from a highway guardrail that had been wiped out by a car the night before. The construction crew gave them to me when I asked. LOL.
Pond is 1' deep pool from WalMart. Rocks are plastic props, moss and plants from Hobby Lobby.
Ducks from Ideal Poultry in Cameron Texas. Amazingly inexpensive. Local farmer took them when we were done. They grow crazy fast. They'll triple in body size in just one week. Best if you can get them shipped to you within two days of birth.
Background trees compliments of of an old tree across the parking lot from my studio.
We've done bunnies before, but the baby ducks get a much bigger response from the parents.
Total investment,...about $80.
Booked 15 minute sessions for 3 days straight, back to back, all day long. Our biggest promo ever.

Lighting is pretty simple.
Softbox to camera left, reflector to camera right.
Kickers on each side in the rear, hair light (which also lit up the tree branches).

Shelbi&Morgan1.jpg

What a set there! I don't see that very often now a days.

I like the shot...overall very solid. The little lady on the left is hunched forward though. But I think this is great.

Also I just had to comment on the ducklings...lol. Good stuff man.

The little lady on the left is hunched forward though. But I think this is great.
She sure is.
This isn't custom portraiture, but more of money machine promotional portraiture.
Average sale was $350-$400. Sessions lasted 15 minutes.
We've got two Santa promos coming up and an elegant winter set coming up. I'll keep ya posted.

I was going to say with those props...that sitting fee ain't going to be cheap. Niche niche niche

Okay, portraiture aside (I agree, great concept, well executed, and I can hear the cash register ringing from here), this is a really BAD idea. Even though these are only ducklings, and I assume (you did confirm this, didn't you?) innoculated, water fowl produce some rather unpleasant waste, which, in water becomes a breeding ground for some really nasty germs. All it would take would be one child with a cut on their foot and a parent who could put two and two together and you'd be so far in debt you'd never see daylight. Just change the set around so that the children can keep their feet dry (on a rock), and it would be great.

That's pretty cool, I think a filter in the pool would take care of the waste. So does that mean when you're done shooting this scene you're going to be having duck for dinner for a couple weeks?

Even though these are only ducklings, and I assume (you did confirm this, didn't you?)
I'm pretty sure. Little web feet, wings and bills gave them away.
LOL. Just yankin' your chain.

innoculated, water fowl produce some rather unpleasant waste, which, in water becomes a breeding ground for some really nasty germs. .
You are entirely correct. Having grown up on a farm, I was uniquely prepared.
The ducks can swim within 48 hours of birth, when they are at their cutest. They are only in the water for 10 minute sessions.

When not in a session, the ducks are kept in a much larger, dry pool with treated wood shavings away from water.
They are blown dry between sessions. At the end of the day they are washed in a very mild detergent and anti-bacterial mix and kept under a heat lamp overnight.
They are required to have liquid antibiotics until they are a month old.
The baby chicks are far easier to take care of. One is shipped with each duck purchased to keep them warm during shipping.
They require no special attention.

Shavings must be changed out every other day, they must be kept warm, they eat constantly, they need antibiotics daily and not only can they taint the water, the untainted water can make the ducks sick.
I few drops of some type of chemical has to be added to the water every other day. Hand sanitizer must be used before AND after each session to prevent the ducks making the kids sick and visa versa.

When planning for this promotion, we did a lot of research. Got some great advice from a local breeder, a studio in McAllen, local reseller and the breeding farm we bought them from.
We knew going in that they were going to require much more attention than the rabbits from the year before.
I have two separate insurance policies that cover injuries in my studio. That includes sickness from seasonal promos.
I'd be surprised that anyone would be in business without it.

We'll be taking it to another level next year, adding a projected background.

The little guys were troopers.
They worked hard for 3 days. And they grow crazy fast.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone thinking about doing something like this is to have a farmer, pet store or breeder ready to accept them as soon as your done. Pekin ducks actually make great pets, although I wouldn't recommend them to just anyone.
They grow so fast, you'll only be able to use them for 3-5 days. (our promo went 3 days).
Once grown, they need no special attention.

Mark, my apologies; it seems that I rather jumped the gun. I applaud the effort that you put into this - I suppose that I expected another case of "Oh, they're cute little ducklings, they can't hurt anything". I would still hesitate to do this myself, but I think you certainly took all reasonable precautions.

Wow, great set!

Mark, my apologies; it seems that I rather jumped the gun. I applaud the effort that you put into this - I suppose that I expected another case of "Oh, they're cute little ducklings, they can't hurt anything". I would still hesitate to do this myself, but I think you certainly took all reasonable precautions.

No apologies needed.
You have a point. We live in a sue-happy society. (the McDonald's coffee lady comes to mind).
It's another reason we're Incorporated...to protect ourselves against frivolous lawsuits.
Also parents must sign a release before we shoot anything with animals.

Isn't that sad, a signed release needed to shoot with baby ducks... What a great world we live in. I actually didn't even sign a release to shoot with some baby tigers, but I heard really bad things about the company that owns them so they probably view it as a nothing to lose type thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back