TCimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tcproimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
original.jpg

You capture it like a mosquito...I mean you focus on the parts where it looks like a mosquito.

It's a really great picture - just the subject material is maybe a little scary? I didn't realize dragonflies were so ugly up close until I started seeing the pictures on this forum.

thanks for the comments. Sorry to those that don't like insects. I didn't see a macro section.

I'm using a Canon 30D, with a Canon 100mm f2.8

Your photo is outstanding, I too love dragons as photo subjects. Can I ask what your lighting/flash(ring?) set up was? I hope you don't mind if I post one my recent shots here with yours, not sure the species, shot in direct sunlight...

cropdrag1-1.jpg

Your photo is outstanding, I too love dragons as photo subjects. Can I ask what your lighting/flash(ring?) set up was? I hope you don't mind if I post one my recent shots here with yours, not sure the species, shot in direct sunlight...

Thank you. Don't mind at all. You have a great shot there considering you used F5 aperture. Normally upclose work requires a rather small aperture to get a DOF that works well. I prefer around f10-13, as it creates a nice DOF and is not way out of the sweet spot of the lens for maximum sharpness.

I use an external Flash (430ex) mounted directly to the camera with a LumiQuest Softbox attached.

original.jpg

I used to use a modified Delta bracket for my shots (see below), but I realized the the Flash worked equally well, when it was on top the camera. Eliminating the bracket setup makes switching back and forth from macro to a long lens much easier. Hope this helps.
original.jpg

Super, thank you for the info and detailed camera rig pics! That softbox intrigues me../your photos almost have a hyper-perfect quality (hoverfly image), very dramatic and dof is what blows me away the most. I have an on board flash pop up on my sony a-100, time to look into getting something bigger and better for sure.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back