Easy way to set ISO to manual on D7000 ?

expat42451 said:
KMH

Yep I display ISO in the viewfinder rather than exposures remaining (I get that off the top display). What was confusing to me was shooting manual with ISO in auto. Several times I didnt like the ISO so reach up and hit the ISO button on the back of the camera and use the thumbwheel to change it. Then release the ISO button to reset F and/or shutter. I see the ISO value in the viewfinder move from where I set it. At least I am pretty sure thats what happened. Which leads me to want to shoot manual with the auto ISO (as you suggested) turned off. I tried setting the Fn button to toggle the ISO between Auto and manual but never could make that seem to work which is what led me to using U2. I ve been shooting primarily in U2 where I have manual control of everything. I get better results it seems. Also suggest a test for this please.... it seems that (to me) when you are shooting in Manual, hit the ISO button and change the ISO (even when in Auto ISO) that setting should stay where you put it until after the shutter is tripped. Looks like Nikon would have made it work that way from a functionality standpoint. When I first started shooting the camera --in manual-- I couldnt figure out what was going on (used to film) and realized that the ISO was going all over the place because it was in auto LOL.
Thanks
Expat

Read the first paragraph on page 103 of your manual. It answers your question. If you have Auto ISO turned on in P, A, S, or M modes, the camera will use the ISO you select unless it cannot achieve a proper exposure, in which case it will override it.

There is no "Auto with manual override" setting like you're asking for. Using U2 seems to be a good solution for you, and you can also refer back to my suggestion about adding it to your "My Menu" (p285 in your manual) to make it easier to turn Auto ISO on or off.

^^ That's what I do. I have the ISO settings on the top of 'My Menu". I also have the Fn button set to go to the "top item in My Menu". When I press the Fn button I am looking at the ISO settings.

Orions Byte and Flatflip

Thanks very much for the interest and posts. I think I am beginning to get this sorted out. U2 seems to work the best for me at this point. I set ISO at the top of my menu and then assigned the Fn button for that-- when pressing the Fn button of course it calls the ISO screen up on the LCD. In any case U2 works well for what I want.

I still think though than in Manual, the camera should be just that, set the ISO and then F Stop and Shutter. But thats just me. In any case it is a pretty amazing piece of equipment. Been out shooting today and probably more tomorrow. Definitely enjoying it !

Thanks to you both and everyone here

Expat

I really hope this is your first DSLR camera.

This thread is mental masturbation.

Raiansan, it certainly is. Last camera was a Nikon F.

Eric-holmes-- for someone obviously like yourself a professional and perfectionist in every way, I am sure that it is.

I have an idea. D7000 has U1 and U2 modes. What if U1 is set as M mode and U2 as A mode with Easy ISO. If you are in U1 and want to change ISO switch to U2 and rotate the main dial, which will change ISO and then go back to U1. If you hold the left hand on the lens you should be able to manipulate the mode dial with your tumb while still looking through the viewfinder. I didn't try this (I don't even own the camera), but from what I've read it might work. Maybe somebody who owns the camera will try it.

Most reactions

Back