Edinburgh 2002 (1) - From the Castle Ramparts

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I went into my archives (the real ones, with albums full of prints) and dug out some photos that I took on the only occasion I have ever travelled to Edinburgh, and to my big surprise I found out that it is soon going to be 5 years ago :shock: --- frightening to see how fast the time goes that I was there.

Five years ago I did not have a digital camera of any sorts, so all of these were taken with my EOS 500N, on some very normal Fuji 200 film (the cheapest I could get, I would assume), and I scanned the PRINTS on my flatbed scanner.

Wide-angle view over the Princes Street Gardens, Princes Street (look for buses), the railroad leading into Waverley Station, The National Galleries of Scotland, the Scott Monument and Balmoral Hotel with Balmoral Clock Tower, behind which there is Calton Hill and then the Firth of Forth in the very far background:

07.jpg

Right below me is the Cemetery of Soldier's Dogs, by the way:

08.jpg

Well, more overviews from the Castle Ramparts

3. The railroad dividing the Princess Street Gardens in two halves, and where they enter Waverley Station underground just before the National Galleries of Scotland:
06.jpg

View towards Calton Hill across the Princess Street Gardens, taking in the Scott Monument and the Balmoral Hotel with the Balmoral Clock Tower, and behind that there's Calton Hill:
05.jpg

Zoomed in on Calton Hill and the sea behind it - and you can also make out Old Calton Burying Ground (look for obelisk):
09.jpg

Princes Street from above (zoomed in - view from the Caslte):
13.jpg

7. And a view over the Old Town with the spire (would this be called "spire"?) of St Giles and yet another church whose name I no longer know (or never knew, possibly :oops: )
10.jpg

8. Close-up onto the spire (?) of St Giles:
16.jpg

I scanned all in all 27 of my old Edinburgh photos.
If you are interested, just holler! :wink:

I think the other spire is St John's, but I could be wrong.

These are beautiful shots, and things I see every day (except for that breathtaking view from the castle -- thats a bit of a walk to get up there every day ;) ).

Great shots, glad you captured my new home so well. :D

Ohhh, what a fun thread! I love seeing pictures of other parts of the world. Nice view, nice cross section of what Edinburgh looks like. Keep digging in those archives! I wanna see more more more.

Does that mean you are hollering, Jeanne???
Hmph... that could make me post more in a new thread, maybe
4.gif
!?!?!?

i really like the high/wide angles in the first shots. good stuff

Fantastic - only time I ever went there I think I was about ten on a school trip, came close last year but carried on up past Inverness.

It's a good idea digging out the archives and scanning them, once I get a new PC I'll give that a go - I'm still using the kids one at the mo.

Did you get into the old church cemeterys at the bottom of the hill the castle sits on? Your first photo, if you turned a bit to the left would have caught them.

I was there a couple of years ago and remember the walk up more than the photos I took. A bit of a steep little walk.

I scanned all in all 27 of my old Edinburgh photos.
If you are interested, just holler! :wink:

Quoting myself for you, Jeanne ... this is why I was asking if you're "hollering" ... not meaning that you really do, as it would be rude, of course, but wanting to know: shall I post some more?

But you are saying "more, more, more", so I might feel encouraged. Maybe.

Thanks for all your nice comments ... compared to purely digital photos, these scanned prints do lack, of course, more so since my scanner once was ok, but no longer is even ok-ish, it can no longer scan any negatives, has a hard time scanning slides, so putting the prints on is the only thing I can do :roll: ....

And Fred, I'm afraid I only got the very initial glimpse of the first-time-there-tourist who has the whole of 2 days ... so no cemeteries other than the Old Calton Burying Ground. Sorry.

These are great shots....I wish I had spent more time there and shot many more picts, but I was more interested in playing golf in St. Andrews.

Edinburgh's a great place to take photos! Got some myself...not as good as those though! :)

Really nice views!

:goodvibe: Thanks again all.
I might continue my little Edinburgh-series today ... we shall see.

yey! my home town - although i am living about 7000 miles from there now! it's a strange place best visited in august as that's when i will be back!!!!!!!!!!!

my first post for yonkies.

going to study japanese at edinburgh uni so i will be getting some shots of japan on these forums soonnnnnnnnn.........

Most reactions

Back