Edit teeth??

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot a family a couple weeks ago where mom, dad and grandpa all had major teeth issues. The family has been involved in drugs, and this shoot was done free of charge because I have worked with the children in the family through my church. I felt this would be a positive experience for the children as well as for the family. The parents didn't smile in any photo because I'm sure they were self conscious about their teeth. There is one shot where the kids were just goofing off and mom gave a true, full smile. I love the shot, and took the liberty of editing her teeth. Do you think she would be offended?

i-NfrJBGs-L.jpg

Yes, I have a gap between my two front teeth that I hate and never fully smile because of it. When I see a photo of myself that someone took where my teeth can be seen I want to falcon punch the photographer.

So I can imagine how someone with meth teeth must feel.

That's a really cute photo! Good job.

Youd just have to ask her about the teeth, or give her both versions, or if youre really worried about offending in the slightest, only the uneditef version without comment. I would not give an edited version alone without saying anything

Yes, I have a gap between my two front teeth that I hate and never fully smile because of it. When I see a photo of myself that someone took where my teeth can be seen I want to falcon punch the photographer.

Thanks you for the quick reply! I think if I were in their shoes I too would appreciate the small photo edit! I just didn't want to offend her.

Thanks you for the quick reply! I think if I were in their shoes I too would appreciate the small photo edit! I just didn't want to offend her.

I think you misunderstood I'd be pissed if someone edited them. I know i have a gap and all my friends and family know as well. So editing would draw attention to the fact.

I have a chipped tooth from a fall when I was younger. It would seriously bother me to have it edited out. It's just part of me. If you were just whitening, I probably wouldn't complain (unless it *looked* overdone), but fixing the chip would bother me. And a chip is minor.

I think you misunderstood I'd be pissed if someone edited them. I know i have a gap and all my friends and family know as well. So editing would draw attention to the fact.

I did misunderstand . . . you voiced exactly what my fear was. I think I'll do as Gavjenks said and talk to her about it and offer her both versions.

I have a chipped tooth from a fall when I was younger. It would seriously bother me to have it edited out. It's just part of me. If you were just whitening, I probably wouldn't complain (unless it *looked* overdone), but fixing the chip would bother me. And a chip is minor.

Thank you. I just know she was self-conscious about it, and I was afraid that if I gave her the image (the only image with her teeth showing happens to be one of my favorites - of course) that she would hate it. But I do see your point.

That's a really cute photo! Good job.

Youd just have to ask her about the teeth, or give her both versions, or if youre really worried about offending in the slightest, only the uneditef version without comment. I would not give an edited version alone without saying anything

Thank you. I think that is wise advise. I'll talk to her about it.

Fixing the gap is over the edge but whitening them a bit is fine
I think the picture itself is a little cold-tinted.

Last edited:
Fixing the gap is over the edge but whitening them a bit isn't just nice.
I think the picture itself is a little cold-tinted.

I wish it were as simple as a gap or yellow teeth. She only has her 2 front teeth, and they were chipped and rough. I created her some back teeth and smoothed up her front teeth. Pretty drastic fix which is why I'm worried about how she will react to it. It is a little cool, especially if you look at the whites. Easy enough to fix.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the "give her both versions" advice. In doing so, you’ll basically be saying “hey, I couldn’t help but notice you have a bit of a jacked grille, so I took it upon myself to fix it in the computer”. At that point, I think the damage would already be done, regardless of which version she decides to hang on her wall.

The absolute safest bet is to probably just leave it alone altogether, but there are ways to work on the color of teeth such that the bad color is de-emphasized a bit rather than completely “fixed”. In that case, she’d never even notice; she’d just think it was a good picture of herself. I’ve got some smokers in my family and use this trick all the time. I guarantee they have no idea that I do it; they’d have to know it was possible first.

I think that is taking it a bit too far as well. What about using liquify and possibly a little bit of cloning to give her a closed mouth smile similar to the fathers?

I tell clients that unless specifically requested not to, I include minimal retouching, but anything permanent, I may de-emphasize, but it stays. I also explain, many clients may desire additional retouching and that I can do that as well. Depending on the comfort level between me and the client I might even suggest an edit.

Most reactions

Back