editing in adobe camera raw with jpgs?

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I learned that you can open jpgs in adobe camera raw on PSE 8. But what is the purpose of this? Is it just for the different menu with sliders that comes up? Or does it actually do something different to the files? My camera cannot shoot in raw.

Adobe RAW is meant for RAW files. With that said, the sliders available in RAW actually are more powerful than most options readily available in photoshop.

The trick is since you are starting with JPEGS a majority of the options in RAW aren't going to help you all that much, however they can still help you slightly.

In short, it provides more features that are high powered regardless of file type. It is just that JPEG can not take full advantage of the features since there will be pixel degradation.

Thanks! Thats sort of what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. I think I'll keep using it anyway, as the slider menus are pretty nice. :)

I use ACR to work on JPEGs all the time, but Bridge has tools and sliders that don't exist in the version of ACR that is included with Elements.

Investigate the difference between destructive and non destructive editing, and the difference between global and local edits, both critical to JPEG editing.

ACR edits non-destructively and local edits are pretty much restricted to the Elements edit workspace.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back