Editing my wedding photos...okay or no?

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our photographers were pretty good for our wedding, but none of the shots were spectacular to me... mainly because of things I didn't like about myself in the photos (skin tone, dull eyes, stray hairs, etc...)

They gave us CDs of all of the images they took at our wedding, including the enhanced ones, as well as a form that says we can make prints or copies as many times of whatever we want.

Is it wrong if I go back through my photos and re-edit them to my tastes? I still have ZERO prints of my wedding and would really like to put a few up on the walls. But like I said, I'm less than thrilled with how a lot of them turned out! But surely, among 1300 photos, I can find 2 or 3 that I love, right?

We talked with our photographers and they took off a chunk of money because we said that we would do all of the PP on our own... maybe you could also try that. Either way, if you are getting full rights to the digital negativees, then do whatever you want with them.

We talked with our photographers and they took off a chunk of money because we said that we would do all of the PP on our own... maybe you could also try that. Either way, if you are getting full rights to the digital negativees, then do whatever you want with them.

We got married 3 years ago ;) I'm just now feeling comfortable with editing photos to the style that I like, so I'm feeling brave enough to try my own wedding photos. I just didn't know if it was immoral because it's not my work that I'm adjusting, ya know?

Yeah I am not exactly clear what the issue is. They are your images, do whatever you want with them. You are allowed to edit any digital file they give you. This is why some photographers do not give clients the RAW files, so it limits what they can do. If they gave you the RAW files, then that's even better.

Even if there was a contract stating you were not allowed to alter their files, there's no way they would ever find out unless you tried to sell them or claim it as your own work and they caught it (which is still slim chances).

The way a good photographer keeps people from altering their files is by being a true professional and doing a better job than their client could do. Then there is never a need for their files to be "retouched."

Yeah I am not exactly clear what the issue is. They are your images, do whatever you want with them. You are allowed to edit any digital file they give you. This is why some photographers do not give clients the RAW files, so it limits what they can do. If they gave you the RAW files, then that's even better.

Even if there was a contract stating you were not allowed to alter their files, there's no way they would ever find out unless you tried to sell them and they caught it.
___
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1300 Hundred photos! Wow!
I guess it would depend what your contract says. No one would ever really know if you don't post up your fixes.
I know that seems harsh, but you really can't dicker with the photos and then use them online. Even though he/she gave you unlimited print rights, the copyright is normally not transfered except in extreme, high dollar, situations.
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your wedding photos. That really blows.

I guess it would depend what your contract says. No one would ever really know if you don't post up your fixes.
I know that seems harsh, but you really can't dicker with the photos and then use them online. Even though he/she gave you unlimited print rights, the copyright is normally not transfered except in extreme, high dollar, situations.

You know what's really horrible? I loved them until I came here! LOL Then I realized what amazing photos look like, and I don't have a single one that blows me away! :lol: Oh well... I guess that calls for a vow renewal with a new dress and pictures?

I wouldn't be displaying anything I edit anywhere further than my living room wall. I've been planning on doing a display on my living room wall of the "evolution" of our family... an engagement picture, wedding pic, maternity, and our son... keeping it within the same "set" of editing so it all matches and coordinates. The only ones I don't like, which I should love, are my wedding photos.

I am learning too much though, because I seriously can't find a single one that doesn't look like a snapshot! None have the "this is it" portrait feel to it. Oh well!

Thank you by the way! I guess there is no problem then, I just wasn't sure of the rules or etiquette. BTW, I would never say that was my photography if someone asked... I wouldn't claim someone else's work.

........They gave us CDs of all of the images they took at our wedding, including the enhanced ones, as well as a form that says we can make prints or copies as many times of whatever we want..........
I would advise to re-read your contract first, as to copyright ownership and then if you still have questions, contact the photographer to discuss. Being given to unlimited printing licsense does not equate to permission for file manipulation/editing. It may also be the case that if you were to choose 2 or 3 images you want to work on, they may be willing to send the RAW file, doubtful, but it nevers hurts to ask. The worst case is they say no.

........They gave us CDs of all of the images they took at our wedding, including the enhanced ones, as well as a form that says we can make prints or copies as many times of whatever we want..........
I would advise to re-read your contract first, as to copyright ownership and then if you still have questions, contact the photographer to discuss. Being given to unlimited printing licsense does not equate to permission for file manipulation/editing. It may also be the case that if you were to choose 2 or 3 images you want to work on, they may be willing to send the RAW file, doubtful, but it nevers hurts to ask. The worst case is they say no.

:confused: I don't think we have the contract anymore... I could email them about it, but I don't want to hurt their feelings or send the message that I'm better than them. Yes, they were starting out when they shot our wedding, but our engagement photos and maternity photos are stunning! I don't know why we had such different results from our wedding.

It's not about hurt feelings, it's about contract law.

It's also about doing the right thing and going about it in an honorable manner. The further you 'get into photography', the more this will make sense.

1300 photo's and 3 years later and you still have NO prints?? :scratch:

That's all good legal advise, however I do not see how any of it matters. Do not sell the images or post them all over a website as your own work and no one will know. The photographer does not get a little alarm if their files get edited, and if you feel there is room for improvement then they didn't do their job correctly in the first place.

Edit them but make sure not to screw up all of your original files. Make back-ups before you take a crack at them.

If you don't have the RAW files, you can contact the photographer and see if they will release them to you after you explain you aren't happy with them. If not, then you at least still have the normal files to work with.

You know what's really horrible? I loved them until I came here! LOL Then I realized what amazing photos look like, and I don't have a single one that blows me away! :lol: Oh well... I guess that calls for a vow renewal with a new dress and pictures?

I wouldn't be displaying anything I edit anywhere further than my living room wall. I've been planning on doing a display on my living room wall of the "evolution" of our family... an engagement picture, wedding pic, maternity, and our son... keeping it within the same "set" of editing so it all matches and coordinates. The only ones I don't like, which I should love, are my wedding photos.

I am learning too much though, because I seriously can't find a single one that doesn't look like a snapshot! None have the "this is it" portrait feel to it. Oh well!

Thank you by the way! I guess there is no problem then, I just wasn't sure of the rules or etiquette. BTW, I would never say that was my photography if someone asked... I wouldn't claim someone else's work.

Again, I am so sorry that you were let down. I hear from a lot of people who did research, saw photos, and in the end, they didn't get that grade of work. I'm sorry. I can't imagine looking through 1300 images and not seeing a single thing I was in love with.

1300 photo's and 3 years later and you still have NO prints?? :scratch:

None that we display in frames or anything. We have an album with a few hundred 4X6s that they printed out, but none are spectacular... it's like candid-style shots.

Darn it! I should have picked a different hobby! :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back