editing photos gallery

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well today I was thinking about such a gallery: member posts a picture which is good as far as topic goes, but there's something wrog technically. The member writes what is wrong and asks somebody to help them with editing this photo...

I know that sometimes this could be very annoying because we can get a bunch of pictures which should simply go to trash but then... maybe such posts should contain specific info what the user would like to have done with the shot?

Then, there would not be problems with all OTE matters becaue shots posted in normal galleries wouldn't be edited... hmm?? any thoughts?

Well Freshmaker, I think it's a pretty good idea. Just wondering if thats what photoshop challenges is for, "Fix this image!" :p

While we are waiting for the famed and glorious moderators to provide an opinion, could you please pass me a Mentos candy?

That would be classified either under the PhotoShop challenge section, as said above, or in critiques. The critique forum is a place for learning and teaching. :)

Corry is right. Just keep in mind that in the Critique Forum, there is no "automatic" OTE unless the poster includes that when submitting an image for critique.

When in doubt, check the Critique Forum FAQ's.

I have concerns that if we started a forum that was an "OTE" free-for-all gallery, the wrong message might get sent and could carry over to other galleries. Best to continue making certain a physical edit is okay by the photographer before touching it.

Verbal critiques are always encouraged, just no altering of work without clear permission. :)

Hope this helps!

mysteryscribe said:
Ps how do you explain composition and crop in words .... I sure cant do it.

You don't have to. You simply ask the poster if it's okay to edit to show them. My experience is the majority will say yes, and will even go put OTE in their signature so you don't have to ask again. If they don't want you to edit their work you aren't obligated to reply and try to explain something that you feel you can't via words.

mysteryscribe said:
You knew I would weigh in with the opposite point of view.... so consider it posted.

Ps how do you explain composition and crop in words .... I sure cant do it.
And you call yourself a scribe.....? ;)

We actually agree on this point, Charlie. We're simply holding firm on seeing the "OTE" before you do anything. :)

position noted, but still not agreed with. I think you will find that I obey the rules, I just dont agree with this one. But then I doubt many people agree with mine either. That is if I had any.

I also don't comment on many pictures here frankly. But I do post way too many all open to any editing people might want to do.

Mystery Scribe I see your point but our good mod friends are just keeping it so there is no unclear boundary of when you can edit and when you can't. I agree you can't edit all pictures with words, but no one is forcing you to. :) The majority of people here let you edit pictures, and those who don't want you to don't deserve to be edited because of unclear rules flowing from forum to forum. :) I think it's fine the way it is. Everyone does see your point though, photography captures things that words can't and that goes for editting as well. Hope I make sense. :)

You all make sense. I dont have a problem with the rule. I'm just sorry there had to be such a rule at all. I understand I am not obligated to comment, and I usually don't.

To add to that let me just say maybe the young lady had a point. Maybe there needs to be a learning center and then an attaboy center... LOL that was a joke just to lighten the mood.

It has also been my experience that when people ask for comment and critique they don't always mean it. What they mean is tell me im perfect.

Falling drunkenly from my soap box now

terri said:
Corry is right. Just keep in mind that in the Critique Forum, there is no "automatic" OTE unless the poster includes that when submitting an image for critique.

When in doubt, check the Critique Forum FAQ's.

Hope this helps!

ok... I always considered Critique Forum as a place where you post an... excellent shot or the one you think is great but you'd like to hear it from others :) lol heheee

thanks for explanation :D

mentos_007 said:
ok... I always considered Critique Forum as a place where you post an... excellent shot or the one you think is great but you'd like to hear it from others :) lol heheee

thanks for explanation :D
No problem! That kind of thinking somehow became the norm for a while, but it was never the intention for the Critique forum to be a glorified "attaboy" forum. ;) Heck, I'd rather almost see bloopers in there - as long as people are asking what went wrong! :lol: Or wanting to know how to improve on a reasonably good shot. (And not by just saying "increase the saturation and add guassian blur", either!) ;)

Well, I think that misconception came about, because once upon a time people were saying the Critique Forum was for finished, ready to be displayed work. I'm glad we're getting it on the right track to what it should be, though.

I think it should have been 'finished work, that you know should be better" or something.

Most reactions

Back