Editing Software

photographydame

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a beginner, what photo editing software would you suggest? Right now I am using the "free" Picasa. I'm just playing around with editing from automatic mode. I am not even close to working RAW/manual.

Since many of you are far advanced in photography, what software did you begin with and move up to and are currently using?

Thanks for your help.

pd

If your looking for free, try Gimp. Google it online. A lot of people use CS3/CS4 and photoshop.

I personally use Photoshop 7. I'm still learning how to use it.

I used GIMP a few years ago but it's not the easiest program to learn.

When I got my Canon XTi I just used the editing software that came with the camera (Digital Photo Professional & ZoomBrowser EX). It works okay but eventually I felt like I needed something with a little more power to do the kind of edits I wasn't able to do with DPP and ZBEX.

I'm currently using Photoshop Elements 6 to do all my photo editing, but I do have Photoshop CS3 which I don't use at all right now. I figure I'll keep using PSE 6 for a few more months and then start to use CS3 and Lightroom 2 (plan to get it soon).

How much were you looking to spend?

Interesting avatar...first time I've seen the flash come out of the lens.

Are we talking raw/workflow applications like Aperture and Lightroom or true editing software like photoshop?

GIMP is free and a very good option. Photoshop Elements will cover 90% of everything most people will need at a wonderful price.

I haven't touched my photoshop CS in a while now and have long migrated to Lightroom.

I use picasa with decent results, I tried GIMP, didnt understand it at ALL, im sure if I played with it for longer than 10 minutes i could have found out something more than when i click the oval, i can make one on the picture!

Photoshop is a good option, I personaly havent tried using it, but I hear its a simple to use program and its rather cheap!

GIMP is open source, so it is free for all users.
It is available for Linux, MAC-OS, and Windows.
For those that want something similar to Photoshop syntax ... then I suggest GIMPShop.

Photoshop CS4 is the current king of photo editing ... and comes with a hefty pricetag.

Photoshop Elements is not bad.

CS4 and LR. DXO for adjustments.

I use Paint Shop Pro X2. So far I haven't found anything that I needed that I can't do with it. I have heard good things about the HDR photo merge process that it offers but I haven't tried it out yet...soon though.

I keep looking for an excuse to upgrade to CS4 but I haven't found one yet enough to justify the price.

Most reactions

Back