Editing software?

Mrspurvis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What editing software is best? Does anyone like anything from apple (iphoto) or is that too sophomoric?

+3 on CS4, you can get the full extended academic version for only $169.

Yep, full version just cheaper for broke ass students like myself. I am a very mediocre photographer using it, and without it I might as well not take photos. Totally worth it.

Yep, full version just cheaper for broke ass students like myself. I am a very mediocre photographer using it, and without it I might as well not take photos. Totally worth it.

Cool, broke ass student myself (plus have a newborn to spend money on) so I appreciate it!

I would say it depend on what you are after. If you shoot raw and you do not edit your pictures more than with curves and levels then i would go for a Rawconverter like Lightroom, Bibble or Aperture on Mac...

If you are short of money i totally would try Gimp that is the best open source image editing that. It is totally free to use. I got a good resource page where you find good information about the Gimp. Gimp is developing fast to be a very good but cheap alternative to Photoshop.

Good plugins like GMic och FX-foundry also makes Gimp to a very attractive choice.

If you choose Gimp you can use your money to get a better lens that really boost your photos...

How does one get this version? You need to be a student i take it lol, and Ill be going back to school this summer semester.

I use Photoshop (CS3) although if you just want basics, picasa is sweet.

How does one get this version? You need to be a student i take it lol, and Ill be going back to school this summer semester.

Yeah, just google "CS4 Academic Version" and you'll find Adobe's education page which shows the schools that participate. If your school isn't listed, they still offer an educational discount, but I'm not sure how much.

As for the statement about Camera Raw, seriously it is becoming the most important aspect of my post processing. Before I learned how to use it, I'd just skip and edit in Photoshop but it is so great to use with RAW that I don't shoot any other mode now. And Bridge is a sweet file manager for your pictures when you learn to use that as well. The whole suite will make a huge difference in the way you use your photos.

i'm using Photoshop 7 and it does everything my photography needs require, except panoramas and HDRs but from what i'm getting most people even with cs4 use something like photomatix for HDRs..

There's Photoshop Elements 6 for the mac and it's only $90. With version 7 for the PC it allows you to bring in and edit raw files; not sure about the version for the mac.

How is Aperture for working with your photos?

Most reactions

Back