EDITING

perfectimage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what I am looking for is a decent program to edit in. I have downloaded probably close to 20 programs, free, 30 day trails too, and they just don't seem to do what I am looking for. I don't need anything too fancy. The biggest issue is adding a simple border. When I edit with current programs, the borders look great, then when I print my pictures, THEY AREN'T THERE. or they are cut off.. no matter what.. (tried in several different programs?!)
Obviously I would also like to change greyscale B&W etc.
Please let me know of what you suggest! Thanks in advance!

I'm going to go out on a limb, and I'm not trying to sound mean, but it's most likely not that the programs you've tried are incapable of doing what you want, but more than likely it's that YOU don't know how to use the programs.

Photoshop and it's various versions are the most popular.
GIMP is free but a lot of people don't like the interface.
If you use a Mac, Pixelmator is cheap and is an alternative to Photoshop (I use Pixelmator).

For example, if you have a demo of photoshop, head on over to google and search for "Adding a border to a picture in photoshop". The internet is full of tutorials to show you how to use the software you get.

Changing to grayscale/black and white- you should be able to find tutorials on this very easily.

As for the borders- it could be as simple of an issue as your printer isn't capable of "bleeding" colors out to the edges of the paper.

I personally love Lightroom. It is comparatively cheap too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the free stuff first.

Picasa is quite good and it's free.

So what I am looking for is a decent program to edit in. I have downloaded probably close to 20 programs, free, 30 day trails too, and they just don't seem to do what I am looking for. I don't need anything too fancy. The biggest issue is adding a simple border. When I edit with current programs, the borders look great, then when I print my pictures, THEY AREN'T THERE. or they are cut off.. no matter what.. (tried in several different programs?!)
Obviously I would also like to change greyscale B&W etc.
Please let me know of what you suggest! Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you're trying to print stuff outside of the print area, and that's why it's getting cut off or not appearing.

This thread was started almost a year ago, is the OP still around?

To be honest, I don't think many free versions are any good (I haven't tried them all mind). I do think to get a quality editing software you usually have to follow consensus and go for one of the best. This usually means you have to pay for it though.

I can tell you that I use Adobe Photoshop, CS3 currently. I will be upgrading to the latest version soon. I generally think Photoshop is the best out there. If you spend the money on it though, you need to spend the time learning it properly. There are catalogues of tutorials and help out there on the Internet, it's just a matter of putting in the hours to learn.

I don't think it's good to jump from one editing software to another. Master one and stick at it if it works for you. This way you will become more accomplished at editing photos than learning a few functions from this software, a few from the other and so on.

I love zombie threads when they rise from the dead.

Like people use the search function around here.

No this is the search function around here,

Let me google that for you

Otherwise there wouldn't be the plethora of oft repeated questions. Heck, people don't even notice when a thread is old, they just pop in and add a reply months and even years after the OP.

Most reactions

Back