Educated in art or not......

mishele

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had some schooling in the art world but is it a hindrance when viewing other peoples work? :D Do all the ideas and philosophy cloud your gut feeling? At times I feel like I try to interpret or analyze art too much instead of just letting the feeling flow....lol Does anyone else struggle w/ this?

I've had no schooling in art, really, but I can tell you that having people tell me what is art and what has not seriously screwed up my ability to be artistic. I frankly don't think I'll ever recover from it fully.

Why would you take an art class, though? Really, you're one of the most artistic people I "know".

One day I'll teach Bitter how to subscribe to threads without the popcorn ;)

As for the question, I'm not trained in the arts at all (at least formally speaking) and only have a smattering of understanding of the arts and technicalities with reference to photography. However your point about the learning getting in the way of your gut feeling is something I can understand. I think its a phase many go through and you can easily see it time and again in forums (though often its a lesson people have to repeat a few times before it really sinks in).

You can easily see it in the people that quickly jump on photos that are not composed with the rule of thirds. A clear display of when peoples understanding of the theoretical (however complete or incomplete) limits them to only critique/view within the boundaries of those rules; whilst ignoring the ability to step back from those theories and view the image before them as a whole with less bias.

OF course the more you learn the more selective your pallet will become and the more discerning your eye as well. So what onetime would have been interesting rule breakings are now less interesting. However against that there's the other trap, that of bordem. You can see that too when more experienced people start to critique not because the photo as it stands is bad, but because its something they've seen before over and over .

Education that clouds one's judgement? What?

Education that impairs critical thinking? Huh?

I've had no schooling in art, really, but I can tell you that having people tell me what is art and what has not seriously screwed up my ability to be artistic. I frankly don't think I'll ever recover from it fully.

Why would you take an art class, though? Really, you're one of the most artistic people I "know".

I'm saying that the "art education" that I have already received is a hindrance. The education I have is actually taking the enjoyment out of viewing other people's work. =)

I wrote computer art curriculum for the Ministry of Education at one point and demonstrated its implimentation in the classroom in an arts school.

skieur

Yes, and no. When critiquing a photo I look at the technical side of most of it first and foremost. Much of that fall in with a good image, but it's like you always see everyone say: learn the rules first. Then learn to break them.
I can absolutely love an image that is not technically perfect. I think I am yet to produce an image that is technically perfect-or even remotely close to it, but I have actually LIKED my own work a time or two.
I like a LOT of technically incorrect stuff. I love the hazy warm images that are over exposed with a white balance that isn't true to color... And a lot of other styles that aren't perfect.
I don't know as I'd say it's a hindrance, but I am aware of the proper. If you teach at all you have to be. BUT I also seem to have no problem breaking all of the rules too-and most of the time not on purpose!

all I did was crop it. I think it looks better. But thats just my opinion.

MariahSnow002.jpg

Why didn't you just center her?

Or if you must off center, why did you put her on the left side?

Why chop her legs in favor of more space above her head?

I put her eyes in the upper left quadrant of the RoT. I thought you guys don't like centered pics.

The end.

BUT I also seem to have no problem breaking all of the rules too-and most of the time not on purpose!
Are these your strongest images?

When you break one or two "rules" in an image, are there other elements of design or compositional theory that are at play instead?

Are you saying you create successful images that actually ignore EVERY element of design and composition?

BUT I also seem to have no problem breaking all of the rules too-and most of the time not on purpose!
Are these your strongest images?

When you break one or two "rules" in an image, are there other elements of design or compositional theory that are at play instead?

Are you saying you create successful images that actually ignore EVERY element of design and composition?
Oooo... this is a good discussion!
Hmmmm... Yes, there are other more advanced elements at play in an image that are having an effect on the image-sometimes, probably almost every time. Sometimes no, but then I think it's not exactly the most powerful image. I'll have to go find some really "broken" images and look at them now. The one that comes to mind is the one posted in elizabeth's post of the heart shaped bokeh. It's out of focus and God only knows if the white balance is great or horrible; HOWEVER it has a leading line of bokeh going thru it and the heart shape is taking the OOF elements and making them in focus... so, broken but not broken at all.

Is every rule of composition, design, etc. broken in an image that is successful? No, I probably do not have one where every rule is shot or even MUCH of good design is shot. Not in a professional work... Now in my MOM work? OH YES! I have images that I just absolutely love that are technically horrible. But that is 1. an emotional attachment and 2. I know the story of the image. It evokes an emotion from me because of my connection with it on a personal level and not as that of the artist.

I also think it's kind of hard to break every element or rule. You accidentally have elements of design that happen without thinking about it. Even in my mom images from 20 years ago.

I do not find "schooling" in Art a hindrance.
In some ways it has taught me that Art (including Photography) does not need to be technically perfect as that does not define the image, so I look at all pictures that way.

Most reactions

Back