Eek! Please Help!!

Stacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to find a flash for my Pentax K100D.....my dad was into Photography awhile back and he's got a couple flashes that he used to use on his film camera....he's got 2 Vivitars...one is a Vivitar Electronic Flash 1900 and the other is a Vivitar Auto Thyristor 283 (they're older) - he has no manuals or guides with them any longer and I'm wondering if I can use either of them with my DSLR? I know voltage is a big deal (I don't want to fry my camera! :() - I am shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and I finally was able to go the church today and I DEFINITELY need another flash for my camera! (rather than the on-camera flash)

If those flashes are no good, can anyone recommend a good, cheap flash...just something to get me by for a while?

Thanks so much!!!

The 283 is a great flash and I don't know about the other one.

You should find out what the rating is for your camera, in terms of flash trigger voltage. Most new DSLR camera are pretty good, with a rating of 250v...but some aren't as good. You can then try to find out the trigger voltage of you flash. THIS SITE says that the 283 is all over the map, and it probably matters where & when it was made.

You could look at buying a new one. A good 'cheap' one is the Sunpak 383 but you will probably need to learn how to use it, as it won't be as automatic as your built in flash.

You could get a Pentax dedicated flash, to keep things easier. This one is really cheap but not too powerful. THIS ONE would be better.

Mike -
This one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131734-REG/Pentax_30307_AF220T_TTL_Shoe_Mount.html)
does it need anything special since it is made for a film camera? Or does it matter? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: So I was looking on B&H and found this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/177002-REG/Sunpak_035P_Auto_355_AF_TTL.html
and am wondering if this is a good flash for a digital camera? I know it says it's for a film camera but with it being a newer flash does it matter if I use it on a Digital? I am looking to buy something very soon so I can get practice in using it...so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
You could always get a Wein Safe Sync. Google it and you should find some info on that.

It's a voltage regulator, of sorts.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

According to that table, neither is safe and probably should use a Wein Safe sync which runs about $50... I use two Sunpak 422D flashes with various digital cameras with no problems. None of these flashes will TTL with the Pentax DSLR and will need to be operated in manual.

So with the 2 Vivitar flashes out, if I find a flash which has the correct voltage - do I need anything special if I get a flash that is meant for a film camera to use on a digital? I found one that is a Sunpak which is made for Pentax but I don't know if I need anything special for it? I will be using it on the hot-shoe.....Thanks!

Bump...anyone??? If the voltage is okay, do I need anything special to use a film flash on a digital camera via hot shoe?

No. But depending on your expertise, you may want to fine a flash that's E-TTL capable. If you buy a manual flash it means you'll have to learn how to set it and depending on how you use it, adjust it for whatever situation you're in. E-TTL flashes do most of that for you.

Most reactions

Back